Clear all

SSG Year 11 Week 1

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Hello and welcome to all!

With a little more forethought (or a lot of luck) it would have been much cooler to have the first week of the "new year" of the SSG kick off next Sunday. Starting Year 11 on November 11 would have be very cosmic.

But, today's a great day to begin our latest adventures with the Sunday Songwriters' Group.

Or tomorrow, as the case may be! I will continue to try my best to post these assignments around this time of day (early Saturday evening for me) and hopefully that will continue to make folks happy.

But, as we're the Sunday Songwriters' Group, it only seems fitting to make our first assignment of the new year deal with Sunday in some way, shape or form. And in order to do so, we'll all start with the same first line (obviously inspired by Jim Brown and Don Rollins' "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"):

It's Sunday someplace (or somewhere)

That can be your complete first line or simply the first three words of it, but it is your first three lines. You don't have to use them at all in the chorus or it can be your chorus or it can simply be three words of the whole chorus.

As always, I look forward to reading and to listening to what you come up with.

Peace

(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

ideas:

Ghost of the announcer for drag races that yellled "Sunday Sunday Sunday" in radio ads
The ghost of Vince Lombardi or other football great
Ghost of a minister

A song about a Mexican worker named Domingo (Sunday is Domingo in Spanish)
A little boy that wants to spend time with his father "Is it Sunday Somewhere?"
The story of how the ice cream sundae came into existence

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

Dave,
Great assignment, I think you may have come up with a unique song title. Itunes and Google searches came up with no songs with either of the suggested opening phrases (if used as a title). I had an idea about what Sunday used to mean to me. I let that slide to the side so now I have a reason to pick that idea up again.
:)
Also the prompt made me think of the songs "Sunday Morning" by the Velvet Underground, "Sunday Will Never Be the Same" by Spanky and Our Gang, "Sunday Morning Coming Down" and "Just the Other Side of Nowhere" by Kris Kristofferson, "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2, and "Pleasant Valley Sunday" by the Gerry Goffin/Carole King (recorded by the Monkees).

MrEWorm,
I like your twists on the prompt too. Made me think of a 19th century baseball player named Billy Sunday. Or a play on it with two words "sun" "day".

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

After I posted I also thought of sun day as two separate words and Billy Sinday as well.

Another idea, someone longing for the Sundays of their youth. Family being together, dressing up, singing in church, seeing the neighbors, listening to the radio, Sunday dinner. Kind of a Waltons scenario.

ReplyQuote