Clear all

SSG Year 11 Week 45

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Hello to all

This week your title has been picked out for you, but you've got to do a bit of clicking find it.

First, stop over at this Wikipedia link to the "List of Billboard number one singles:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_hits_(United_States)

Once there, click on the year of your birth. If you were born before 1940, figure out how old you were in 1940 and add that number to the year 1940 and click on that year. So, for example, if you were born in 1935, you would have been five years old in 1940, so you want to pick the year 1945 for your assignment.

Once you're in your year, you've a choice - either go with the song title of the week you were born or the song title for this week (the week with September 8 in it). For example, if I was one of the many members of the Guitar Noise forum who was born in July of 1957, I'd actually have three titles to choose from: "Teddy Bear," "Loving You," (a double sided hit throughout all of July) and "Tammy" (the song of this week in that year).

If you're stuck on the directions, just drop me a line or post it here.

As always, I look forward to reading and to listening to what you come up with.

Peace

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

:shock:
That's a tough one: Sept 1970---------"War" or "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

It does seem that there was more diversity in styles of what made it to the top during that time period

revised............oh I forgot the day so I guess it makes the title "War"........I have a better chance with that than "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Originally I intended to have you pick any song title from your birth year - so I guess if none of the two choices (that result from the current method of picking) fits one's needs, choosing from any song title for that year will work.

"War" certainly lends itself to all sorts of possibilities (although I do also think it lends itself to a lot of lazy songwriting) but I'm now finding myself intrigued with "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." Simply finding a way to turn the phrase around and away from its typical sense of cliché is a fascinating challenge. Ain't no mountain high enough to escape the noise of the traffic? Ain't no mountain high enough to jump from? Ain't no mountain high enough to reach out and touch the sky? Maybe it's a song about Noah's ark? Ain't no mountain high enough to escape the rain of God? And now I've got "Sinner Man" running through my head, too!

Going to be a wild rest of the weekend with all these ideas running around in my head!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Going to be a wild rest of the weekend with all these ideas running around in my head!
That's a good bit of brainstorming going on :D ....be sure to post your song for the week too, David :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

I thought I had a doozy. At least mine isn't Jan 7 1950 "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer".
I got three choices
"Music, Music, Music" : workable
"If I knew You Were Coming I'd have baked a Cake" - kind of gimmicky
"Goodnight Irene"

My belly is kind of leadish

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

My belly is kind of leadish

Maybe David will work his musing charm for you, too. I'm working on a Noah song right now thanks to him :D

ReplyQuote