Clear all

SSG Year Five - Assignment for Week Seven

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Hello to all!

Bob's asked me to fill in for him the next few weeks while he's off on holiday. Actually, he's come up with the assignments already and I'm simply going to post them at the proper time, such as today!

So, from the "desk of Bob," comes your assignment for Week Seven of SSG Year 5:

Sunday Songwriter's Group – Year 5 Week 7 (17/12/06)
Hi Everyone

Continuing with our development process I want us to look this week at adding a bridge to our song. A bridge should link thematic or musical ideas and as such requires fairly careful consideration. Occasionally you will hear reference made to a middle eight which is interchangeable with a bridge. Essentially this means there's a change in the make up the song for eight bars before it switches back to its predominant structure. It's a chance to add further expression to your song.

Good writing

And I'd like to add the following "bonus" assignment:

Also try working up a bridge for one of the other songs (read "not the one you wrote") posted for last week. If you've not written up a "basic" song for Week 6 (see "Week 6 Assignment" below), feel free to work one up and post it. Then continue on with this week's assignment (s).

As Bob says, "write well!" and I'll be looking forward to dishing out your SSG tasks on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve!

Peace

WEEK 6 ASSIGNMENT:

Hi Everyone

I wanted to move away from our familiar theme and look at some structural songwriting elements for the next few weeks. As we're approaching christmas, a busy holiday time for us all no doubt, I thought we'd try and develop a song in different ways. tghis will mean that your holiday time will not be heavily taxed by your SSG contribution. For this week I want a simple song on anything you want. However, I want it short, no more than three verses and the requisite amount of choruses. Over the next few weeks we'll develop this song by adding bridges, changing rhyming schemes, changing the tense and person in which the song is written. Essentially it'll be the same song reworked to see what effect these changes have, e.g. whether it makes a more powerful statement, gives a more intimate feel etc. I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Good writing