Her thighs rub the knobs on the console
Buttons pop and they loose control; they loose control

chorus

The world’s a complicated mess because of two lovers
What better way to take it out than with love for one another

chorus

(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

James, you amaze me week after week. Did you take this story from another source? I'm still not sure what kind of "end of the world" story I want to tell.

Some possibilities:
Monte Python
Douglas Adams
Biblical
Mayan
Mysticism
Accidental
Diabolical
Alien Invasion
Mutant cockroaches
Cthulu

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi MrEWorm,

Thanks for the listen and encouraging feedback. :D
Did you take this story from another source?
Not specifically, but I'm sure I've seen some version of a spoof on the idea where someone accidentally pushes the big red button in a military silo and destroys the world......even though it's along the line of a tall tale, I thought a funny/interesting end of the world would be one of those guys in an underground military base having a female visitor and they get passionate around the control board and push the wrong button(s).
Some possibilities:
Monte Python
Douglas Adams
Biblical
Mayan
Mysticism
Accidental
Diabolical
Alien Invasion
Mutant cockroaches
Cthulu

Looks like a good list. :wink: The other thing I do to get ideas is to look on line for quotes and jokes about the theme of the week. :idea:

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

James,
I like the take. Different lyrical direction, but the vibe kinda reminds me of the U2 song "Until The End Of The World" 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU0thhJzMZE
I notice that it seems you were straining your voice a bit in the chorus. Was that intentional?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Andy,
"Until The End Of The World" 8)
Thanks for the reference. I hadn't heard the song before. As I read it, it could be a loose interpretation of an imaginary conversation between Judas and Jesus after the betrayal.
I notice that it seems you were straining your voice a bit in the chorus. Was that intentional?

Yes and no. I tried to find a better key so I wasn't singing too low and/or too high but "didn't find what I was looking for" (U2 reference :wink: ).....so I opted for the strain.....Coldplay could pull it off :D ...but since the strain of the voice fit the strain of the message, I pushed on with it....however, it would take a good singer to pull it off well.

Thanks for the listen and feedback :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi James

Enjoyed this a lot. Certainly more Dr. Strangelove than Failsafe and a treat to listen to.

Did you try recording it without the "bells and whistles" effects (or whatever you'd like to call the various electronic ambient sounds)? Just wondering what it might sound like done relatively straightforward.

Also, hardly noticed you pushing your voice. Like yourself I guess it simply fit.

Looking forward to more.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Did you try recording it without the "bells and whistles" effects (or whatever you'd like to call the various electronic ambient sounds)? Just wondering what it might sound like done relatively straightforward.
Well, I did now....just for you :wink:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11973746

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Wow!

Both versions are very good and it's difficult to choose between the two. But I no longer have concerns that this song would go unplayed at an acoustic open mic!

Too cool! Thanks.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the listen and encouraging words :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Very imaginative. A good story if you can get past the ideas of somebody being able to sneak into a missile silo and one button being able to launch such a destructive weapon without confirmation.

I like the acoustic version better. I think you should either stick with that or add a lot more electronic end-of-worldy effects.

Being at the top of your range in the chorus worked fine. In any case, the melody there was great and this is about songwriting, not singing.

I would change this line in the last verse:

"What better way to take it out than with love for one another"

Maybe to:

"What better way to take it out than wrapped around each other"

This isn't about love, it's about passion.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Renee,
A good story if you can get past the ideas
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, it's a tall tale indeed :wink:
I like the acoustic version better. I think you should either stick with that or add a lot more electronic end-of-worldy effects.
Thanks for the feedback and suggestion on that :D
I would change this line in the last verse:
"What better way to take it out than with love for one another"
Maybe to:
"What better way to take it out than wrapped around each other"
This isn't about love, it's about passion.
Yes, you are right about "passion" being what destroys the world in this case....I'll think a bit more about it....since this was a bridge, I was trying to take a step back from the 2 people in the room to a broader look at mankind.....the world being in a mess could be thought of as these 2, but I was thinking Adam and Eve and the first sin......and the other idea about "all the world needs is love" (a la Beatles) but this being an act of love/passion inadvertently destroying the world......but I am sure I'm am thinking too deep on this and assuming too much.

Thanks again for the listen and post :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

....and yet another version......I am trying to get a handle on manipulating and using loops

Strings Version
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11977219

ReplyQuote