Skip to content
SSG3 Week 51 & ...

Notifications
Clear all

SSG3 Week 51 & 52 - Game Over (mp3 link)

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

mp3 here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574497

Dear Diary 1
I often find it hard to come up with an idea for a song all by myself, so I always appreciate Bob's contribution in giving me a topic. Once I've got a topic, I then check out the Internet for some background information on it or even a glossary of terms that are relevant to the topic. I might not use them but often they stimulate other ideas that I do use.

In most cases although not always, I start off by having a tune already in my head or written down somewhere, at any one time I've probably got 2 or 3 chord progressions lying around just waiting for a song to come together.

So for this assignment I'm going to put some words to a nice little chord progression that I've been playing around with for a couple of weeks now. Ill upload an mp3 of the chord progression when I finalise it later.
For now the working title of this song is called “Slide D”. Actually I was inspired by Smokindog's slide guitar work on “Bat Boy” but whereas he uses a proper slide, the calluses on my fingertips will have to the job for me.

I've got two lines that I like and probably they set the theme for this song. I like these lines cos the “play” and “stay” words create an image of dialog you might hear from children when the game goes wrong and one wants to go home. The “I don't want to” ‘s link both lines together.

Slide D (working title)
© 2005 Paul Brady

<slide stuff>
Blah blah blah ……..
</slide stuff>
But I don't want to play no more
And I don't want to stay here no more

<little elves do their magic while I'm asleep>
blah blah blah
</little elves do their magic while I'm asleep >

So apparently this song is going to be about something I'm not happy with. So until next time dear reader :D

cheers
pbee

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@karla)
Estimable Member

Seems like you've got a good start here - so far I like it ;) I'm really looking forward to reading more of it

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Dear Diary 2
I've posted the chord progression here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=328886
I'm a great fan of Jack Johnson and I just love the way he crams so many lyrics into a line. I also love the way he uses rhyme within the line. I think this chord progression is ideally suited to some high “syllable count” lines with some internal rhyme.
So this week Im going to try this rhyming scheme, AaBbCC where the lowercases are rhymes within the line.

Until next time
pbee

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Cool stuff Pbee. I love the progression you got going on in that. I really like the, ummm, turnaround I guess it would be. Not sure what chord it was but you had a little bass run and then went back to the main progression.

Anyways.. Keep working on it. I cant wait to hear this one.

Pbee

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Dear Diary 3
I've got my (incomplete) glossary and have managed to cobble together 2 verses. There's not going to be a chorus as such as the last two lines of each verse are a kind of pseudo chorus. Feel free to contribute to the glossary and or the verses (including the unwritten ones) if you feel inclined. I haven't really tried singing this yet; it should be close to the music but may need to be tweaked a bit. Im not really happy with the bridge but at this stage its just an idea dump.
Game glossary:
Winning, loosing, play, time, time out, on field, off field, capture, taken, chance, rushing, reload, hit, score, base, run, blind, bluff, deal

Slide D (working title)
© 2005 Paul Brady

Verse1
Don't feel like I'm winning or loosing, while I'm with you
You play with my mind, and now for some time, I'll be confused
But I don't want play here no more

Verse 2
Are we on are we off is this game of chance going to last
You captured with my heart and right from the start I was taken by you
But I don't want play here no more

Bridge (one)
Give me a sign
Of what's on your mind
Just stop and say
That you want to play

Verse3
Blah blah

Verse4
Blah blah

Bridge (two) - this one maybe based on the other one but deliver a slightly different message.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Dear Diary 4
Ok so I'm now at the point where Rokinsoul14595 was last week. Where do I go from here? The answer is always “Well what are you trying to say with this song”. It seems to me that that at some point you have to commit to the song and decide what it is it's actually about, and go for it. And if it doesn't work then either rewrite it or put it in the shoebox.
So this song is going to be about the frustration of someone who's smitten with someone else but doesn't seem to be getting the sort of feedback he wants. And he's tired of playing the game, he either wants commitment from her or out.
But in the second half of the song he realises that he's actually in control of his own destiny.
At this point I've also got a title that's also in keeping with the theme.
Ive changed the structure of the song slightly as well cos I think it sounds better this way.

mp3 here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=328886

Game Over
© 2005 Paul Brady

Verse1
Don't feel like I'm winning or loosing, when I'm here with you
You've played with my mind babe, and now for some time, I'm confused
But I don't want play no more

Verse 2
Are we on are we off is this game of chance going to last
You captured my heart babe and right from the start I was yours
But I don't want play no more

Bridge
Give me a sign babe
And tell me just what's on your mind
Just stop and say babe
That you're fine and still want to play

<guitar solo>

Cos I'm not gonna play this game no more
And I'm not gonna stay here no more

Verse 3
Don't feel like I'm winning or loosing, when I'm here with you
But this time is my time and I'm not dependant on you
And I'm not gonna play this game no more
And I'm not gonna stay here no more

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Thanks for the updates I'm really alot from your post here

I have always how you write these really good songs you post

I am very very interested

Just wish I could do it your bloody good at this

hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

oops left out the word " learning "

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@rocketgirl)
Reputable Member

pbee,

you wrote
It seems to me that that at some point you have to commit to the song and decide what it is it's actually about

I definitely think you've accomplished this! I really liked this. Found your song really catchy! Great job, Gwynne.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys I really appreciate your feedback.
Hilch,
I learn quite a bit doing this stuff too. I often have trouble trying to get my timing right, and I simply cant play to a metronome, I find if I use a backing track then I can play along in time. What I found with this song is that the “flavour” (cant think of the right word) of the song changed from the original Slide D to the final product. I was originally thinking more bluesy.
Gwynne,
Found your song really catchy!
Thanks, Im glad you like it, I have to admit I quite like this one myself.

Cheers
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

That sounds great :D I love the lyrics and the feel of the song. How did you record the backing track? That's very good!! Very professional sounding :D Its interesting how every one has a unique way of putting a song together. --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Dog,
Im glad you liked it, cos you had something to do with its creation. After listening to what you did with “Bat Boy” I thought, yeah the sound of a sliding chord change has it own charm, so the song just got built around that.
The backing tracks are 3 midi sequences (Bass, Drum & Keyboard) converted to mp3 files then mixed with the guitar track and vocal track.
cheers
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Dog,
Im glad you liked it, cos you had something to do with its creation. After listening to what you did with “Bat Boy” I thought, yeah the sound of a sliding chord change has it own charm, so the song just got built around that.
The backing tracks are 3 midi sequences (Bass, Drum & Keyboard) converted to mp3 files then mixed with the guitar track and vocal track.
cheers
Paul

That sounds very natural for a midi file, what program do you use :?: sometimes I will take a midi file off the net and strip it down to bass and drums ( with anvil studio free ware) and do the same, but I have no Idea how to sequence the files myself. That would be a good thing to learn I guess :oops: -the dog

BTW-I'm glad to have influenced someone in a positive way :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member

Well after all that it would really suck if your song was bad. Fortunately, it's not. Not that I thought for a second it would be. I like this Paul. Very catchy. Interesting rhyme scheme. Works really well with the music. Your voice sounds great, too. Well done.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

KT thanks for the feedback
Joe thanks, Im glad you like it. Yeah the rhyme scheme was my attempt to be different.

cheers

Paul

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2