SSG47 - Anything you want

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@karla)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Heck this assignment is quite confusing =/

I thought I knew my thing about key signatures, but I cant seem to write something of which you'd say yep, thats a 3/4. Ofcourse it depens on how you perform it...

I've written this and recorded it. I didn't really put much effort into it (I didn't try to sing :D), but I'd just like to know if this is a 3/4. If someone gave me this to listen to, I'd have said it's a 6/8.
Once I know what this is I'll try to make something better of the lyrics..

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=380008

And a general question. There's a lot of background noise, I recorded the guitar first, then voice. How can I make that less? Buying a better mic?

Anything You Want

You don't know
What you do to me
You're everything
I'll ever need

So beautiful
Shining like the sun
Bright like the stars
But within my reach

Oh baby I'll do anything
Anything you want
To prove to you
My love is true

Let me hold you
Taste your lips
Come closer now
The night is ours

Hold me tight
Don't ever let go
I want to be with you
Forever ain't enough

Oh baby I'll do anything
Anything you want
To prove to you
My love is true

This very song
Is only for you
So you know
Just how I feel

Oh baby I'll do anything
Anything you want
To prove to you
My love is true

[edit] Either my pc or soundclick is messing up, but I don't know if I managed to get the thing online and I can't seem to check it :evil: I'll try again tomorrow [/edit]

[edit2] It's up. Remember, nothing brilliant, it's just to try and find the right beat...[/edit2]

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Bah. Soundclick is acting up on me. So I can't hear it.

I like the flow to your verses. But I got lost here
Let me hold you
Taste your lips
Come closer now
The night is ours

Hold me tight
Don't ever let go
I want to be with you
Forever ain't enough

Maybe because the first few lines struck me as someone talking about somebody that hadn't noticed them yet, or something like that. I'll add some more when soundclick starts working and i can hear it. Maybe that will clear up my confusion.

Good effort. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You're right... It should be about some couple all in love (boring subject huh), so I guess I'll change this part

Let me hold you
Taste your lips
Come closer now
The night is ours,
gotta think about what to change it to though..

Heh, it should be about the lyrics but when writing it, I was more bothered about the 3/4 measure... Otherwise I don't think I would have even tried this subject, I would have put some more effort into the lyrics itself. Guess thats not the right thing to do anyway, I should post the best I have on all aspects... (note to self: think before you post next time :P)

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Karla,

Except for some hesitation on the gutar between verses I see
nothing wrong with this piece. I like the spoken nature of the
vocal on the Mp3. Very Haunting. The words are simple but so
is the message.

You saidHeh, it should be about the lyrics but when writing it, I was more bothered about the 3/4 measure

The truth is it should be about the whole and as a whole I think
this works very well.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Yep hearing it now, and it works just fine. I agree with John's comments.

Good Work.

Twisty

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Hey Karla,

Finally sounclick is co-operating with me! I agree with John; the delivery is fantastic. However, I will disagree with him too... I think the lyrics may be a bit too simple or at least over used.

I guess it's only a few lines I'm hung up on, such as:
Shining like the sun
and
My love is true
The second line there I've used myself, so I shouldn't be pointing fingers. And I can't think of how else to say it. But I think you'd have a tremendously interesting song if you could find a way to say something equally meaningful in the same amount of space. (I realise that this is a tall order. 'Love' is such a loaded word.)
If someone gave me this to listen to, I'd have said it's a 6/8.

I'm definitely not a musician type person, but I have yet to be convinced that 6/8 is even a real signature. I think it's really just 3/4 with the Emperor's New Robe effect in play. :) I guess what I'm trying to say is "close enough".

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Wow Karla.. That is beautiful. Not exaggerating at all when I say I got chills (In a good way).

The guitar was excellent and your voice is very exotic. As a product of 80s rock, I am not one to judge over used lines or cliche's. Your song may have them, may not. But I thought it was excellent.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You're all crazy, has anyone ever told you that? No way this is that good... Heck, like the celt says, there are gaps in the guitar part... Plus not singing, even though you seem to like that. Plus it's just another love song x_X
Gotta tell you though that today's been a horrible day but your comments got a huge smile out :)

I promise you a remake, without hesitation in the guitar part plus I'll try to get out some of the clichés. I'll post it here once thats been done. Won't be anytime soon I'm afraid as my study is killing my time...

Thanks guys for making my day :D

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

You're all crazy

Nope, been to two psychologists and was deemed not crazy by both :D :lol:

Honestly, your voice has a really nice warm tone to it.. The accent doesnt hurt you at all either. heh I would rather see how it is sung, but even then I think a nice slow.. singing.. talking type sound would be best. I am trying to think of a female artist who has done this that I could relate it to but i cant get the name off the tip of my tounge.

As for the guitar. I did notice that but I thought that you had looped the guitar and we were just hearing the gap in the loop. We're not professionals, most of us, so I didnt wanna critique that.

Your song has a style, tone, and uniquness that I would want to listen to..

Sorry your having a rough day. Hope that gets better.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Actually, having a bad day is not bad at all. I'm at my best with this songwriting when some strong emotions are flowing through me, especially anger...

You're right, I looped the guitar. But I should be able to play & sing at a time and record it together. That way there will be less background noise too.

You don't know
What you do to me
You're everything
I'll ever need

So beautiful
Mysterious as a lake
Bright like the stars
But within my reach
Minor change, but got the same feeling for me

Oh baby I'll do anything
Anything you want
To prove to you
My love is true

This night is ours
Let me hold you
Taste your lips
Come closer now
Maybe this little switch can clear the "confusion"?

Hold me tight
Don't ever let go
I want to be with you
Forever aint enough

Chorus..

This very song
Is only for you
So you know
I'm yours only

Maybe something like this? :)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Wow Karla.. That is beautiful. Not exaggerating at all when I say I got chills (In a good way).

The guitar was excellent and your voice is very exotic. As a product of 80s rock, I am not one to judge over used lines or cliche's. Your song may have them, may not. But I thought it was excellent.

Geoo

Hey, thanks, saved me some typing. Ditto to what Geoo said.

I'm normally pretty down on overused words and phrases (despite being a repeat offender myself) but I thought you carried it all off very well.

I'm starting to come around to the view that a certain amount of cliche can actually be good in popular music, so long as it's well "sold" by the music.

I've been reading through some songbooks, and have been surprised to see how many songs that I've enjoyed have pretty plain (or outright bizarre) words when just pinned to the page with no support.

For instance, Horse With No Name, which is still popular as a lesson elsewhere on this site has some really dire words, yet manages to get away with it. Sample lyrics include:

the heat was hot (No kidding???)
there were sand and hllls and rings ("rings" appears to be there only to rhyme with the equally inspired "and things". )
Under the cities lies a heart made of ground. (handy..)
And the grand finale
in the desert you can remember your name, cos there ain't no one for to give you no pain. la la la la la la la la la la la la.

So I wouldn't worry too much about a few bright stars and a bit of lip tasting. I like it as it is, and I agree with Geoo about the quality of you voice and the accent. It works very well for you. :D

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote