Clear all

Year3 WK47 3/4 time---Now With Mp3

49 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ahh good ol' 3/4 time. Only ten billion country songs are written this way :D Been awhile since I've posted here. Heck been awhile since I've written anything. But now that life is somewhat normal I can get back to it. I'll try and start reading and adding my critiques to others as well.

Please, feel free to say what you think. In a constructive way of course :wink:

I don't have anyway to record this currently, so I posted the chord changes within the song. Simple, slightly lazy, bass/DU strum should get the rhythm for you.

She Won't Talk To Me Anymore

{G}She won't talk to me any{Cadd9}more.
Just gets dressed and walks out the {G}door.
Just like she's done {D}before.
But she won't talk to me any{G}more.

{G}I'll be sitting here {Cadd9}again.
While she's out with {G}friends.
And the whiskey I'll start to {D}pour
Cause she won't talk to me any{G}more.

{C}Our love withered on the {G}vine.
What (C)I wouldn't give for the {G}old times.
When (C)she loved me and (G)I loved her {Em}more.
But, she (D)won't talk to me any{G}more.

{G}It's about four {Cadd9}am
When she comes stumbling {G}in
She told him good-bye at the {D}door

I should pack my things and {Cadd9}move along.
Let her wake up, and find me {G}gone.
Will she care? {D}I don't know.
Cause she won't talk to me any{G}more.

{C}Our love withered on the {G}vine.
But, she (D)won't talk to me any{G}more.

{G}How I love that woman {D}so

Outro G Cadd9 G D G

©
OKay have at it. <cringe> :wink:

P.S. I changed the chorus per Vic's suggestion except I dropped the D7 chord. THanks Vic I like it.

Okay folks you can get a rough demo of this here. Don't Laugh Too Hard

There's a couple of hiccups in both the playing and the singing but it gives you a rough idea of what I was after. Soon as I can I'll get a better take up.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

(@katreich)
Prominent Member

No cringing required. This is a good old standard country tune in my mind.
Good Job!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member

I think its good too! I got out my guitar to try the chords played the way you described it and it obviously is a 3/4. Even only for that you're getting a thumbs up from me, even though this might seem easy to you. (I've never tried listening to anything qualified as country before, but I'm surely gonna give it a try).
But the lyrics itself are good too, I think it's something a lot of people come across, finding out that love ain't what it used to be..

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, both of you.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Excellent!

I've never thought of myself as a Country fan, and I don't have any Country CDs. But I've found that whenever I've tried playing a country song at GN it's been good fun. And that was no exception.

Good theme, well written, and fun to sing and play - what more could you want! :D

By the end I was singing in my best Amuurrican accent, and had developed a strong urge to wear a large hat. When I stood up I was even walking slightly bow legged from ridin' ma hoss.... 8)

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

aw shucks, folks. y'all's gonna make me blush. :oops:

Cool Chris, I'm glad you had fun with it. :D

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member

I've never been a big Country music fan either, but the crossover to Pop has made it easier to listen to it, and one thing I've realized is that typically, the lyrics are really good. Yours is no exception. Really liked them. Simple but say a lot. Well done.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've never been a big Country music fan either, but the crossover to Pop has made it easier to listen to it, and one thing I've realized is that typically, the lyrics are really good. Yours is no exception. Really liked them. Simple but say a lot. Well done.

Joe

Thanks for the kind words Joe. I stopped listening to country when they crossed over. THere's already enough bad rock n roll about. :wink: I cut my music teeth singing along with HAnk Sr. Jim Reeves, Willie, Waylon, Johnny, etc.. So I guess they are to blame for some of my lyrics/sound :D

Actually, I'm a bit flabbergasted. I didn't expect this to go over this well, and I'm not totally satisfied with how the chorus sounds. But maybe it's because I'm in the position of not seeing the forest for the trees sort of...

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Oh dear.... :D

Just realised that when I sang it I was using something other than 3/4 time. Probably 2/4 time. I was going dum da-da, dum da-da with my Bass/DU strum. One beat and then two half beats, which is more like um .. (quickstep??) rather than 3/4 waltz time.

Any chance that you could show us where the bar lines fall for one verse so we can see how the tempo works please TwistedFingers? It seems as if you can change the tempo for lots of songs, just by lengthening or shortening words and altering where you put the emphasis.

I thought I had this one, but now I'm not so sure. :?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Oh dear.... :D

Just realised that when I sang it I was using something other than 3/4 time. Probably 2/4 time. I was going dum da-da, dum da-da with my Bass/DU strum. One beat and then two half beats, which is more like um .. (quickstep??) rather than 3/4 waltz time.

Any chance that you could show us where the bar lines fall for one verse so we can see how the tempo works please TwistedFingers? It seems as if you can change the tempo for lots of songs, just by lengthening or shortening words and altering where you put the emphasis.

I thought I had this one, but now I'm not so sure. :?
Hmm not sure. I wrote this as I sang it and played it. Basically you hit the Bass Note, Down strum, slight pause then upstrum and start again.

It will give you that "lope" that a lot of country songs have. Sorry it's one of those things I kind of do by instinct and feel. I'll see what I can do about working that out for you.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Sorry it's one of those things I kind of do by instinct and feel. I'll see what I can do about working that out for you.

I think that nails the trouble I'm having. I play mostly by instinct and feel as well, and that usually means defaulting to a familiar pattern, or else just playing whatever feels good at the time. But I can follow sheet music, as the pattern shows up in the bars. Will work harder. :D

EDIT: Deleted superfluous waffle in the interests of space and sanity. :twisted:

Cheers Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I like it, TF, with one tiny reservation....there's very little difference, musically speaking, between the verses and the chorus....

I was messing about with the chords earlier and came up with this for the chorus:

Instead of

{G}Our love is dying on the {Cadd9}vine.
What I wouldn't give for the {G}old times.
When she loved me and I loved her {D}more.
But, she won't talk to me any{G}more.

I played

{C}Our love is dying on the {G}vine.
But, she (D)won't talk to (D7)me any{G}more.

(Basically, changing key from G to C for the chorus, but ending in the "home" key....

Yes, you can still play the Cadd9 instead of C, and it sounds better with the extra note in the G chord (for the benefit of anyone else reading, TF and I were speaking on MSN the other night, and he told me the G was played with an exfra D note, 3rd fret, 2nd string)....

Great song, VERY country lyrics....love it mate!!!!

Hope you don't mind me tampering....

:D :D :D

Vic

PS.....Great to see an SSG assignment posted with chord progression... makes it so much easier to see what the writer has in mind....

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the change on the chorus. I'm going to try that out. I think that's exactly what I was after. One of those could hear it in my head but couldn't get my fingers to find the appropriate chords.

Don't mind the tampering at all. :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

er....one other little thing.....

"our love is dying on the vine"....although that line sounds great, the song's about a love that's gone....already dead - so to keep the tenses correct, it should maybe read "our love is dead on the vine" or even "Our love withered on the vine"......past love, past tense.....

In the pub tonight, I played the chorus to a mate, just the two of us before anyone else came in....he said "One of yours? You've got something there mate......"

I did disclaim all responsibility....HONEST!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

er....one other little thing.....

"our love is dying on the vine"....although that line sounds great, the song's about a love that's gone....already dead - so to keep the tenses correct, it should maybe read "our love is dead on the vine" or even "Our love withered on the vine"......past love, past tense.....

In the pub tonight, I played the chorus to a mate, just the two of us before anyone else came in....he said "One of yours? You've got something there mate......"

I did disclaim all responsibility....HONEST!

Vic
right on the withered part. Thanks again Vic.

lol sure you did, don't make me come take royalties out of your skin and ale money. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4