2 Users
0 Likes
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone

Welcome to Year 4 of the SSG.

A few personal items first - I'd like to extend my personal thanks to everyone for their thanks. I am hoping to be much more of a particpant this year. Luckily the work project that means I've been pulling 50 - 60 hour weeks for the last six months is over tomorrow so now I only have my own job to do - hurrah. I am going to try to write more myself and as ever try to continue to improve my playing. Hopefully, I will be able to increase my conversion rate from written to recorded. So let's start another adventre in song writing:

Firstly, if you're new to this board we want to hear from you. Secondly, this board works on people being honest (in a kindly fashion) on your submissions and in turn you must help them by reading and comenting on their submissions.

We're going to kick off with inspiration much as we did last year. So for this week's assignment I want to write a song but tell us how it was inspired and we'll see how well they match up. It could be anything, one of your kids smiles to a reflection in a shop window to a long and painful bus journey (which oddly enough I did over to France last week). Whatever inspires you to write that song.

Good writing

Bob :wink:

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well that was some week that was!!!!

I haven't written much lately.....but this week everything seemed to come gushing out at once....

It started with me wanting to write a real blues song, and, being unable to sleep, messing about with an unplugged electric...got the riff, then got the lyrics...That was "Devil's on the Loose", I called it part one....I noticed that the vocal line seemed to follow the melody line pretty closely, so I thought it might be fun to write something along the lines of "Sunshine of Your Love" where the vocal line exactly matches the melody line, I already had half an idea for a riff, I managed to get it finished, then added lyrics to that - was a little stuck for inspiration at first, till I almost fell over the dog....black dog on a dark carpet, not the most noticeable thing in the world....that got me thinking about an incident from a few years ago, and I was on the way.....

that became "Bad Luck Blues"...when I played it back for Marilyn, she mentioned I'd never written a love song specifically for her....So I did, that was "Marilyn"...3 songs written, and half way to an idea for another, after she said something along the lines of "Huh, bet you wrote songs like that for all your exes...." got to thinking again, about an ex Marilyn met a couple of times....talk about cat-fights!!!....that led to "Already Smashed" (pt4), and, a variation on the same theme, but about a different ex-girlfriend..."Two Faced"....

Celt mentioned working out unresolved anger issues, which set the brain cell active again....so I wrote yet another song, about a certain bunch of people I knew a few years ago....hey it's good therapy, this writing, isn't it!...."Hypocrites" was number 6....sort of led naturally into yet another song, this one about the much more recent past....

So, a busy week, plenty of inspiration, think I've got a few good songs out of it.....I have such a backlog of songs I want to record, just don't seem to have the time to getaround to them....anyway, I'm going to make a real effort to record at least 3-4 of these tomorrow.....you'd think you'd be able to record something you wrote yourself in one simple take, wouldn't you....hah!!!!

And there's still this week's assignment to come....I just hope it isn't A - Write about an ex-girlfriend, B - Write a song to get some unresolved issues out of your system, or C - Write about someone you know.....

But I've enjoyed this week, just shows what you can do when you put yourself under pressure....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote