Notifications
Clear all

SUNDAY SONGWRITER'SGROUP - WEEK 33

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I've been in long dry spells (and am still in one with occasional damp patches) and the only way out is to work at it. Just write and write and write some more. It's all you can do.

I hear that! I'm really, really dried out at the moment in terms of song writing :(

But I am writing away, trying to get something done for this week's SSG. Here's hoping...

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

I had a friend a number of years back who always introduced himself as a writer. I knew full well he made a living as a restaurant waiter and one day I called him at it. He just replyed, "I am a writer. It's not how I earn my living but each day a sit down and I write. Some days I write good stuff and some days I write trash. But I never fail to practice my craft and that's what makes me a writer. Sure being published would be nice . . . . but that's not what makes a writer."

So, trying to write a song each week, even if only ideas or bits and pieces . . . it's all part of it. I have all kinds of thought and lines and unfinished songs and music waiting for words . . . . . and then by posting here . . . . what better way to learn from good people . . . . . it's all part of the process. And remember that the worst critic you are going to have is yourself.

You just keep going because you love it.

Neil

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well said Neil

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member

Just a quick note about the 'inspiration question'...

I find that I need to, on average, block out about one or two hours to sit and play with the guitar until something worth basing a song on comes to me. All I have at that point is a premise or hook or chord progression that I like. Sometimes I still have nothing, sometimes a few things that I can file away for another assignment. Sometimes I come back the next day and realise that my inspiration kinda sucked.

My point is that time and inspiration are not two opposite concepts, the former usually precedes the latter.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2