Clear all

w21 - space time

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sytys)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey, this one's a little out there, teaching an astronomy unit, i thought i get what i have down though just to keep the process moving, i've been tryin to rap this,,

space time

------------------------------------------------------------

it's about time that the time is here
sittin on the deck with a pipe and a beer
pocket all full of stellar matter
big bang was boom causing space to splatter

bending light and time cause we're takin up space
knowing once a month you get a moon in the face
pointing at polaris with our axis of spin
rotating once a day like we've always been

time gets bent by matter
time goes back forever
space time is getting fatter
making the matter scatter

watching your finger as you pluck that note
seeing your father as he clears his throat
you hear it done at the same time
but light travels to you on a faster line

time gets bent by matter
time goes back forever
space time is getting fatter
making the matter scatter

-------------------------------------------------------------

trying to work out a couple more verses

m

sytys

(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I like your chorus, it's suitably weird and wacky in a non-scientific way. I think if it were made into a song I'd definitely want to sample it on some kind of DJ Shadow-esque collage track.

There are a couple of bits in the verses that seem awkward... "a moon in the face" is quite a... well, surprising lyric; and that bit about the father - whoah! where the hell did that come from?!? I think you need to put him back in his own song and stick to the scientific philosophising here without introducing any characters.

I like the direction so far but try to stay on track with the wacky ideas and not get different genres mixed up in one song.

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member

Haha, that was thorougly entertaining. Did you say you were a teacher? If so, you'd be the cool science teacher that made all the kids actually like science. Well done. I liked the bit about the father, actually. I got that as you explaining the way we see daily routines relative with light and sound, etc. I like the moon bit, too. Like pie in the face--face of the moon--moon pie--just a strange play on words that immediately sends the wheels in your head turning to try and explain it to yourself, while whether you immediately get it or not, you've got this crazy image of a giant moon face coming at you. Love it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hi Sytys

Interesting take on the assignment - good use of space time without once mentioning a continuum.

Interesting song though and certainly a good start. I think the matter scatter line is a bit too much in the chorus but the rhyming throughout certainly works especially if as you say you would like to rap it.

God start

Bob

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@sytys)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey, thanks for all the feedback guys, i enjoyed this week, right from the start i wanted to write about the broader concept of time, took awhile to work anything out, i gave my kids an assignment to watch the moon phases for a month, so that set my onto the moon line, plus the moon if anything is our monthly clock, was going to make the last line of that verse revolving around the sun like we've always been for our yearly clock, but figured i'd have to save the sun for his own verse. i put father into it cause it fit better than man (plus i like the father finger alliteration), like joe mentioned i was trying to illustrate how we see and hear things at the same time but light travels 100 000 times the speed of sound, just our brain smoothing out reality for us, or life would be a poorly dubbed movie, i got this idea from the current discovery mag, anyways, thanks again.

m

sytys

ReplyQuote