Clear all

Week 11- Rain Just Keeps on Raining- w/MP3

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is a basic G-C-D sort of thing. Couldn't write about snow without making it a Christmas song, or a ragged blues, because I usually end up on the floor in snowy weather- balance problems are to blame for that! So, you get good old English rain, and country. Complete with a harmonica riff which extends beyond the end of the song- I didn't realise that until I uploaded it- so sorry about that.

Rain Just Keeps On Raining

Sing me a little something
As I'm walking ‘round this town
Most days I feel so up,
But today I'm just run down

The rain just keeps on rainin'
And my face begins to fall
Sometimes I get to thinkin'
I've no place in this at all.

Memories of yesterdays
Go racing through my mind
A time of peace and happiness
Which was so hard to find

The rain just keeps on rainin'

Just get me out this darkness
Show me where to fall
I'll find my solace somewhere
Not walking through this hall.

Ah… The rain just keeps on rainin'

I'm fearful for tomorrow
Not living for today
I'll climb on out this darkness
When the sun comes on its way

For now, the rain just keeps on rainin'
And my face begins to fall,
Sometimes I get to thinking
I've no place in this at all

You can hear it here

Take care,

Casey

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Good start :D Nice chord progression for the style of story telling and harmonica.

Suggestions
#1 Consider using a more conversational phrase in the chorus since it's repeated often. I've never heard the phrase
"my face begins to fall"....maybe there is way to rephrase....also consider removing the "begins" as it appears the singer is already in a gloomy disposition.

#2"I've no place in this at all." Consider clarifying what "this" is.

#3 I get the message the singer is not happy, but some details as to why would help attract the listener's attention.

#4 "Not walking through this hall" clarify "hall" school? prison? airport?

#5 "just get me out this darkness; Show me where to fall"
VS.
"I'll climb on out this darkness"

These two lines/ideas seem to contradict....one being a plea for help or resigned to giving up, the other saying as soon as it's sunny, I'll be happy or "feel up" again like I do most days.

Take or leave what you wish. :wink:

James

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

because I usually end up on the floor in snowy weather- balance problems are to blame for that!

Amen to that, sister Shady.....I'm 6'5" tall, and if I slip, it's a Loooooooooong way to the ground! Not that I'm unbalanced or anything - well, maybe I am, but that's a whole 'nother story.....

I like the song. I don't often disagree with James' critiques, but this time I'll make an exception.....

#1 "my face begins to fall" - seems to fit the story line OK to me. OK, maybe it's not a phrase you'd use every day, but it seems to fit, and it'd be hard to replace.

#2 to 5 - all valid comments, but seriously, I can't find anything wrong lyrically with this.....sometimes you just don't have to explain a song, it's up to the listener to interpret the lyrics, for better or worse! I love it when someone posts lyrics that are intriguing, and have an air of mystery about them...I love it when I have to THINK about the lyrics, and put my own interpretation on them.

The MP3? Hmm, I'll have to have a listen in the AM....got about 16 things going on at the moment! But I will listen, and hopefully enjoy.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks James, and thanks, Vic. .

Looking at it again, there's a lot of jumping around between locations, which I'm probably going to have to address. First verse the singer is in one location, by the last verse they're somewhere else, with no real explanation. Does this add to the intrigue or make it more confusing?

So- you'll probably get a cleaner mp3 later on. :)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

sometimes you just don't have to explain a song, it's up to the listener to interpret the lyrics, for better or worse!
Does this add to the intrigue or make it more confusing?
As there are no right or wrongs about it, I guess this is where having a target audience in mind comes in to play. If you know who you are trying to reach out to, it should help in the balance between spelling it out or being open ended.
I know I am not answering the question, posed, but it seems you would be the best person to ask which way you want to take the song :roll:

ReplyQuote