Clear all

Week 13 - Empty Faces (with rough demo)

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So I'm a little late. I wanted to save this assignment for the FAWM project, so I waited until February. Since I was out of town the first 2 days of Feb, I had to write it this morning. I was limited by David to only 2 chords, which makes it difficult to resolve the melody. Every melody in my head needed at least 3 chords. I finally got one out and ended up using the mandolin to try to make the 2 repetitive chords seem a little more interesting.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1256531/EmptyFaces.mp3

Momentary glance across a high school dance
Her face burned into memory
Why didn’t I take that chance and ask her to dance
Instead of staring in reverie

Empty spaces in a never ending race
A love story so cliche
Empty faces wrapped up in lace
Broken hearts led astray

A lifetime of lies while a heart slowly dies
And fades into obscurity
One only cries and one barely tries
Both clinging to security

Empty spaces in a never ending race
A love story so cliche
Empty faces wrapped up in lace
Broken hearts led astray

Bass player for Undercover

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

I wanted to save this assignment for the FAWM project, so I waited until February.
:lol: I know that feeling :lol:

So you get this to count as one of 14 :wink:

As far as the song, kudos for sticking with 2 chords (not easy at all) and the playing was great :mrgreen:

As fare as the lyrics, I have no clue what this is about. First it seems about a missed relationship, then a bad relationship that stayed together or a relationship that ended or all the above?

Suggestion: Consider including a time frame and more concrete details rather than abstract.

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As fare as the lyrics, I have no clue what this is about. First it seems about a missed relationship, then a bad relationship that stayed together or a relationship that ended or all the above?

Suggestion: Consider including a time frame and more concrete details rather than abstract.

That makes 2 of us. :D The first 2 lines that came to me were the "Empty spaces..." and "Empty faces...", and the direction I was thinking was about people marrying who they (or others) think they should instead of who they want. Then the 1st verse showed up and it shifted to missed opportunities and settling for the familiar rather than taking a risk on your true desire. The 2nd verse is basically the breakup of my first marriage 10+ years ago. :mrgreen:

I tend to write very literal songs with heavy handed step by step stories. Every once in a while, stuff like this comes out, so I just go with it when it does. Once FAWM is done, I will go back and maybe add a 3rd verse that brings things together a little better.

Thanks!

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

Write them the way you like. Some of the best songs have little exposition. It's all about the feel.

ReplyQuote