Clear all

11/14b Cartman - I'm Going Home

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This uses the melody of Carmen - Habanera, written by Bizet in the key of D minor.
The character is Cartman, from the comedy series "South Park" . I haven't watched it for several years. I suppose more could be written.

Screw You Guys, I'm Going Home

I hate hippies, I hate their guts
I want to kick them all in the nuts
They’re hanging around everywhere
Smoking pot and growing hair

Author.. Authority, You must respect my authority

Kenny’s family is so poor; they got a mortgage on their cardboard box
Frozen waffles for every meal, while the father is drinking scotch
Kenny used to die every week; “You bastards” was the line
If drinking scotch was his father’s job, Kenny’s family would be doing fine

(Instrumental for 2 lines)
Don’t call me fat, you stupid Jew; I’m not fat, I’m just big boned
That’s all that I have to say; Screw you guys, I’m going home

(@davidhodge)

Well, unless I'm totally missing it, there's nothing about going home except in the title. Nice bit of fluff and it can certainly bring a smile to a select crowd, but a huge stretch for the assignment.

But that happens more times than I can count sometimes!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The last line is "Screw you guys, I'm going home" That's one of Cartmans trademark lines that he repeated in several episodes.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That I got. And I've seen South Park enough times to recognize the line, even though it's been a while.

But aside from that I'm not sure how any of the rest of it can fit the specific assignment of "write about making the trip back home."

Again, no worries about it whatsoever. People hedge and stretch the assignment guidelines all the time.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for straying but the confluence of Cartman, Carmen, a minor key hang Going Home led me to this very poorly executed ditty. I think that every line init is a very near quite to one of Cartmans lines. I held back a lot of what I felt SAS very objectional material.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi John,

I see David's point about straying off topic, but I see the assignments as a catalyst or starting point; the bottom line meaning you get a song out of the efforts.

So about the song itself, it's a very niche song. Those who understand it and like South Park will get a smile out of it; others nothing.

Any recording on this one? Plenty of time left in the week. :wink:

James

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

No intention of recording. It really needs to be sung in Cartmans voice and I don't think I can do it. I imagine it as a song for a "South Park on Ice" winter spectacular.

Yup, this is a niche one alright. I always like to write a few parodies a year and the Habanera section of Carmen is one of those melodies that lends itself nicely.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Yes as Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean says "...more of a guideline.." :D

Any way I'm not a South Park watcher but I still enjoyed it.

cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

It's a good novelty song. Yes, it appeals to a narrow audience. Being a fan of the show (most episodes, anyway), I enjoyed reading the lyrics.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes as Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean says "...more of a guideline.." :D

Any way I'm not a South Park watcher but I still enjoyed it.

cheers
Paul

I haven't seen it myself for several years. A saw the Mr. Hanky episode a few too many times. Have you been to the "Book of Mormon" play by the same guys? It's hilarious.

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It's a good novelty song. Yes, it appeals to a narrow audience. Being a fan of the show (most episodes, anyway), I enjoyed reading the lyrics.

Thanks Hobson. Now I might have to write a whole suite of South Park related songs. On second thought, maybe I won't.
Sometimes the things that come quickly are the most fun. I had an hour to do something and I knew my week would be full.
Our ukulele club has a performance this weekend and I need to sing a few solos at it so thats whee most of my musical effort is going right now.

ReplyQuote