Clear all

Wk14- Lou'siana Town- mp3 added!

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This one was inspired by Jim Croce, who's another of my musical heroes. Truth be told, his music got me through a rough time where I simply couldn't listen to George Harrison at all. I'm not entirely happy with the chorus, so assistance would be appreciated. I'll have an mp3 ready on Thursday.

CAPO III
C F G C
One fine night, long time ago, in Lou'siana town
C F G C
Two fine men were playing a show, with people gathered round
C F G C
The crowd, they all stood singin', as Maury played guitar
C F G C
The music was their reason, Jim Croce was the star.

C F G C
Sang a song about an “Operator”, you can keep the dime

C F G C
A couple more songs, an hour's passed, I believe it's time

C F G C
People started leavin', the place had been quite full
C F G C
The awful thing that happened next, we remember still

C F G
All of these years later, people sadly say

C
“There's “One Less Set of Footsteps” in this world today.”

C F G

C

Take care,

Casey

(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member

Sang a song about an “Operator”

I'd suggest more lines like this - expand on what his show might have looked like - his movement/character. I've read he liked to tell stories before every song, etc. You could have more verses.
I'm not entirely happy with the chorus

I suggest adding a more emotional approach here - I think it would be fitting to add a couple lines about how you personally miss the music or the impact that his absence had.

jeremy

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

I like the chorus and would like to hear an mp3 if you have time for context.

Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I agree with Ernie that the chorus is fine. It's actually very powerful in its simplicity. Wouldn't change it at all unless to tweak a word or two the second time through:

Yes all of these years later, people still say

Also agree with Jeremy that you can spend more time in the verses both describing the show and the effect and feelings it left on you and the rest of the audience. Kind of like Killing Me Softly With His Song (which, if I remember correctly, the songwriters wrote because of the reaction on of their friends had to seeing Don McClean).

Very much looking forward to hearing this!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd say you've got about half a song here - what you've got's fine up to now, but for me it needs expanding a little. Maybe another verse, a bridge. Agree with David re the chorus - sometimes simple is definitely best, but no reason it can't be tweaked a little.

Looking forward to hearing.

Oh, and like Cath, I hope you're brushing up on your fingerstyle! Not that I'm an expert, but maybe you might think about playing with the chords, too - maybe an F maj7 (leave the top string open) instead of an F, maybe an ascending/descending bass-line.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Vic.

It's mainly fingerstyle. (All, in fact.) Had to be, considering it was about Jim. :) I might play with the chords further, but I use the Cmaj7 some already, so I'm getting there. I might do another verse, but depends on what I get over the next few days. (I find that once a song has written itself, it's slow in changing.) By no means set in stone, though.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

MP3 here!

www.myspace.com/shadywilbury

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

A tribute to Jim Croce.
Well done, Shady.
A nice light tune.
I noticed you didn't name the town . . . Notchitoches . . . how come? :mrgreen:

Is that blue guitar on your MySpace site yours? What is it?
And is James Taylor really one of your friends?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The blue guitar is a Tanglewood TMO 10-NC.

Added JT, because I'm a fan, don't know him personally, but the advantages of having a chap like him added are many, if you know what I mean. :)

Didn't name the town because I don't have the accent, and besides, how do you pronounce it? :)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Sounding good :D
Suggestion:
Consider including some minor chords to darken the mood a bit.
Consider revising the title....maybe "Footsteps"...Lou'siana Town doesn't seem to be mentioned enough to be the title.
Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Just stumbled upon your song just now & gave it a listen. Beautiful melody. I really like it. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote