Skip to content
Y12, W11 - This wee...

Notifications
Clear all

Y12, W11 - This week's topic/assignment.

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's good to be back..... :D

This week's topic is inspired by last week's topic....I was writing about the various women who'd shared my life, and realised that, with the exception of Marilyn (for those of you who might not know, we'd been together for almost 15 years until she sadly passed away in March 2012) that I had very little in common with the exes, musically speaking. My first wife liked Barry Manilow (bet that's the first time he's ever got a mention on Guitarnoise!) and Neil Sedaka - second wife was a big fan of the 80's disco-pap (oops, sorry, pop!) sound of Stock Aitken and Waterman. Going back to the early seventies, my first girlfriend was a big fan of the Osmonds, David Cassidy and The Bay City Rollers.

So - what I'd like you to do this week is think back to a song you hated that someone close to you used to play all the time, or - if nothing rings a bell - a song you hated from your youth, maybe one that doesn't hold great memories. Take the title as your starting point, and write a whole new song around it. Here's your chance to get your own back on a record you hate!

Before closing for this week, I'd like to say a HUGE thank you to David for not only setting the assignments for the past two-and-a-half years, but also - on a personal note - for his help and encouragement to this struggling hack for all the ten years I've been a Guitarnoise member, and especially for the past twenty one months or so which have been pretty horrible.

It's good to be back writing again....the muse has been kind for the past few weeks, fingers crossed she's sticking around for a while, and it's nice to be in charge of the hot-seat once again. As always, good luck with your writing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@davidhodge)

Great topic, Vic!

Quick question - can it be just a particular artist as opposed to a particular song?

This should be fun!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Quick question - can it be just a particular artist as opposed to a particular song?

I suppose so, if you use his/her/their name as the title...I've got to laugh, you ask me that after all the liberties I've taken with your assignments? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember, people, there are no-hard and fast rules here, only guidelines - you get extra street cred points for thinking outside the box!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Thanks.

For some reason the idea of a song titled "My Baby Loves Justin Beiber" is floating around in my brain. Not going to use it because I do want to go with something (a lot) older but figured I should ask.

And although it's taken me a long time to figure it out, I do get the thing about assignments. At least I think I do!

Thanks again.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

Yeah, great topic! Oh for me this prompt brings back memories of the old record players with the record changing arm. We had one that if it were left in the open/loading position, it would play whatever record was on the platter over and over and over and over, or AM radio that would play the top hits over and over, and the teenybopper pop songs played, over and over and over, about thirty songs immediately jump to mind.....hate might be a bit strong but very annoying :D , girlfriends hmmmmmmmm

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

"...the old record players with the record changing arm..."

Mine was a Dansette....used to take about eight 45s, but the last couple always sounded warped! When singles were 50p (half of £1) back then, I used to buy a lot of mine from a stall on the local market - the owner used to get ex-jukebox singles, with the middle missing, and sell them on at 20p each - happy days. You then had to buy a plastic adaptor (they were black, not blue, as I recall, Mrs Reichert!) so they'd fit on the record player spindle!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

I remember the "all-in-one" AM/FM radio/8-track/record player that my parents bought around 1971.
This morning I woke up and one emerged to meet cross-purposes since I want to work on love songs. The one I am leaning to is an old Elvis 60's movie album tune. How about if we reference the song in our posts. Or even for giggles include a link to some version of the song that served as our anti-inspiration?
Andy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Like I said before, there are no hard and fast rules....just do what you gotta do to get a song out. Something hits you, go with it...even if it's only a tenuous link. To misquote Jimmy James and the Vagabonds: "I'll go where the muse is taking me...."

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Does this mean I have to write now ha ha ha

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Does this mean I have to write now ha ha ha

YES!

Vic

ReplyQuote