Michael, give her back to me

Michael, how'd it get this bad
She was all I ever had
For God's sake hear my plea
Michael, give her back to me

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Reading it through . . . it flowed really well.
Listening to it now . . . pretty tune.

Just one word change . . . instead of "my chickadee" . . . "my-life-to-be".

Nice job, James.
What's the wife think?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ken,
Thanks for the listen. :D
Just one word change . . . instead of "my chickadee" . . . "my-life-to-be".
The "she" being referred to is alluding to a daughter that likes to sing...."my chickadee" [like a little songbird] is supposed to be a term of endearment to a daughter so "my life to be" doesn't quite work for me, but I am open to other words or phrases that might.

Do you want to go double or nothing on guessing the deeper meaning....I have 3 levels of answers you can choose :mrgreen:
Oh, you can guess at the Beatle tune rip off as well :mrgreen: :note1: :mrgreen:
James
What's the wife think?
Well, I said, "Do you want to hear my new song?" She said, "Oh, go ahead and practice it some more first." Then I said, "It's already recorded." And she said, "....maybe later" Long day...2 kid birthday parties in a row and the oldest in play practice all week....and I have learned not to ask a second time after a "....maybe later" response :wink:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'll take a couple of wild stabs . . .

The first thing that came to mind was Michael Jackson's daughter . . . that he got custody of in his divorce.

The second, maybe deeper . . . even wronger, is the angel Michael and their daughter was lost to him . . . but then the divorce line wouldn't make sense . . .

third? . . . an even wilder stab . . . something to do with Michael Jackson owning the publishing rights to the Beatles songs?

Oh and the "life to be" was meaning, that since she was lost to Michael, the life that he/she intended to have with the daughter was not going to be happening . . . it was a life she WAS to have with her . . . her/his "life-to-be" with the daughter that, apparently, wasn't meant-to-be . . . if that makes any sense . . . because of the divorce?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ken,

Wow! You wild stabs are deadly accurate! :mrgreen:

You got them all!
The first thing that came to mind was Michael Jackson's daughter . . . that he got custody of in his divorce.
Yes, this idea would work best with a female singer...it wasn't necessarily M.J. I had in mind, but a mother asking for her daughter or a father trying to reason with the step-father.
the angel Michael and their daughter was lost to him . . . but then the divorce line wouldn't make sense . . .
For me, this was the furthest stretch, but divorce meaning a separation of physical and spiritual and courts being the gods of fate or God's judgment etc
something to do with Michael Jackson owning the publishing rights to the Beatles songs?
Yes! this is the initial premise of the song...Paul McCartney wanting the publishing rights back for 200+ of his songs from Michael Jackson.

U 'DA MAN

How about musical reference? :mrgreen:

Oh, my wife was thrown off by the 'chick-a-dee' thing...and said the song was "ok"

New line: couldn't you have let her be
Feedback?

James

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

How about musical reference? :mrgreen:

This one has me . . . this is not even a stab . . . it's a poke in the dark . . . Sun King Melody?
Oh, my wife was thrown off by the 'chick-a-dee' thing...and said the song was "ok"

I'm afraid W. C. Fields trumps on the use of "chickadee".

Sometimes wives aren't the greatest source of inspiration . . .
let her know about your relation with your Muse . . .
make her jealous.

KR2

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sun King Melody?
No, that's not what I was thinking but I have to listen to it to rule it out completely. My muse does some strange things while I sleep :wink:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

U 'DA MAN
You betcha . . . and I've got 20 Jereremy points to prove it . . . it was double or nothing . . . right?

What are you holdin? . . . . huh? , . . big guy. 8)

KR2

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You betcha . . . and I've got 20 Jereremy points to prove it . . . it was double or nothing . . . right?

What are you holdin? . . . . huh? , . . big guy.
Ken,
ENJOY YOUR JEREMY POINTS!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!!!
James :wink:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

[deleted] . . . by me . . .
because my reply was hilariously funny but touched upon a political statement . . .
which is held sacrosanct here . . . at GN.com . . . and rightfully so.

(instead PMed to . . . big guy instead)

KR2

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sun King Melody?
I just had a listen to it on youtube....nope, not even the Italian parts inspired this one :wink: Part of me thinks it is too clear, but the other part is saying, "This is great....I can keep stealing melodies from songs I like and no one can find the sources :twisted: "....on the other hand, I might need to stay away from doing covers if I think I am doing a cover and no one call tell what the cover is :roll: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member

I really enjoyed this James. Great tune. I never would have figured out who or what it was about.
I'm just not up on things.

I listened earlier and could not figure out what the nod to The Beatles was and then it hit me - Across the Universe.
The progression and vocal melody over the chorus. Correct or no?

stikman

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ernie,

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: CONGRATS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Across the Universe is corrrrrrrect!

I never would have figured out who or what it was about.
.....so just out of curiosity.....what did you think it was about? .....I am just curious what others might come away with....

Thanks for the listen.

James

ReplyQuote
(@contagiousjerm)
Estimable Member

hey... i know that guy. handsome fella... cracked me up when I saw that... scrolled down and thought "Hey! I haven't posted here yet!!"

Nice lyrics... good recording James.

And my Soundclick Page to listen to my song submissions: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903876

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Jeremy,

Thanks for the listen. :D
Hope you didn't mind me taking your spud head out for a spin, but you know what Ken wants, Ken gets :lol:

James

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2