Clear all

Y8W5 - I Was Reading the TV Guide

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@christiaan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Oops, I'm one song behind! I'll have to watch less TV... which brings me to last weeks assignment.
It's about a tv show I liked as a kid, but there's no contrasting it with today. I've bended the rules a little, because I had some trouble with it, mainly because I don't think TV used to be better - it's always been pretty bad with a few gems here and there.

You can listen to it here.
The song has a punchline (and some swearing, so kids - don't read/listen to this :wink: ) so it might be funnier to listen to it before you read the lyrics.
Then again, I tend to mumble a lot, so do as you please!

I Was Reading the TV Guide

I was reading the tv guide
and I saw that sunday morning
they are showing a repeat
of a show I used to love
as a kid

I went round to the shopping mall
and I got me some hot coco
like my momma used to make
to experience that time
long ago

There I was on that sunday morn' in
my pajamas drinking coco
here comes the titlescreen – oh boy!
I had that robot as a toy!
Oh joy!

When the credits were rolling by
I did not know what to say. But f***!
I don't want anything to do
with that kid that's in the fa-
mily album

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Christiaan,

Good start :D The first three verses seems to set up the song well...and the fourth verse is contrasting so it set's the stage for a dramatic emotional change.

Suggestion:
Consider another verse/more information about what changed for the singer. As it is, there aren't enough clues to know why the singer had a change of mood.

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@christiaan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the comment, I've had a lot of trouble in the past with making lyrics too vague for anyone but me to understand. So I guess I did it again!

Would this be better:

"When the credits were rolling by
What kind of kid I must have been
that I would ever like such a God-
awful show..."

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi Christiaan,
"When the credits were rolling by
What kind of kid I must have been
that I would ever like such a God-
awful show..."

yes much better, on the first time through I though it was someone else in the photo but it makes much more sense now that I know its you. The thing I really like about this song is the way the mood changes.
Consider another verse/more information about what changed for the singer
yes I agree, I would put that at the end cos, that mod change as it is works really well, so I would change that effect but some more info after the change would be good.
cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey Christiaan, just to cheer you up, i did guess that the change was that the person no longer understands why he ever liked that tv show, i wasn't entirely sure, but i did guess. so your last verse wasn't too vague, just a tiny bit maybe :D

i think it already helps that you sing "my family album" instead of "the family album"... maybe you could replace teh family album with something more revealing.. like... eh.. an equivalent of "my graduation picture" (something like that, only fitting for a kid, not a teenager). re-phrasing the verse in that way would be nicer, I think, than in the way you've suggested for your suggestion seems very, er.. how to put it.., "in your face", I think :wink: just my 2 cents.

and.. the singer's disappointment: been there done that :wink:

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote