And chose his destiny
He often takes for granted
The gift that he is free…but

chorus

solo

chorus

(@melody)
Eminent Member

I have to give this a listen tomorrow, so far I've just read the words, but what wonderful words. Great idea for a song and a person can take a lot of meaning from this if they wish. Nicely written!

When I have a chance to listen to the music I may see it differently so I hesitate to comment but this would be my impression just from reading the words. I really like the repetition in the first verse with the "He sings.." and think that is quite effective. The second verse takes on a different writing style from that, and not sure, but just wondering how it would be to carry some kind of repetition in the first three lines there somehow as well.

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

Nice. One of my friends has set music to the Paul Laurence Dunbar poem "Sympathy" that contains:

I know why the caged bird sings, ah me,
When his wing is bruised and his bosom sore,
When he beats his bars and would be free;
It is not a carol of joy or glee,
But a prayer that he sends from his heart's deep core,
But a plea, that upward to Heaven he flings –
I know why the caged bird sings

Maya Angelou cited this as the author as the source for her writing ambition.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Melody,
The second verse takes on a different writing style from that, and not sure, but just wondering how it would be to carry some kind of repetition in the first three lines there somehow as well.
I think the change in structure helps support the idea of V1 being caged.....and repetitive....while V2 is free....but I did try to emphasize the "c" sound in the V2 to give it some flow......For me, since the melody is the same it helps tie it together, but I'd like to hear what you think after hearing it as well.

Hi MrEWorm,
Maya Angelou cited this as the author as the source for her writing ambition.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that. It's nice to have the confirmation that we don't have to be "original" to be creative :wink:

Thanks for the posts :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi James

Interesting take on the topic. Also interesting that the "free" bird isn't really portrayed as a better option, especially with lines like "callous never caring." He seems oblivious to anything in the world but himself. As an "either / or" choice, I'd be hoping for a "none of the above" selection I could pick!

Looking forward to more.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Dave,
As an "either / or" choice, I'd be hoping for a "none of the above" selection I could pick!
Thanks for the listen and feedback. I see what you mean about wanting “choices”.

Like Melody said, it is open to interpretation; especially when reading the reference MrEWorm supplied of Paul Laurence Dunbar's poem "Sympathy"

I had it in mind to stick with Maya Angelou's interpretation that the poem or song is about racial tension.
especially with lines like "callous never caring." He seems oblivious to anything in the world but himself.
I don't want to get political.....or open up a can of worms [pun intended :P ], but what I saw come through her poem regarding interpretation was white people taking their freedom for granted and being ignorant to the effects slavery can have on a person or people group; black people suffering from having been slaves and decedents of slaves.
FREEE BIRD!!!!!
Freee bird indeed :mrgreen:

Thanks for the listens and posts. :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@melody)
Eminent Member

What a catchy tune, I like the melody very much and enjoyed listening! It is however much more up tempo that I had imagined it was going to be when I had just read the lyric only. For my ears, the song is very upbeat, bouncy, happy and that isn't the feeling I have from the words in the first verse. With the contrast between the two verses in words, in my inexperience I am not sure how a person is supposed to handle that as far as the music goes though. I have no arranging skills, but could a person possibly add something to make the first verse a little darker and then take that away and put something else in the second verse that conveys the freedom part musically. The second verse wouldn't need much because it works pretty well just the way it is.

There is something, and I haven't a clue what it is, that I am hearing in the recording that I think the song would be better off without. Whether it is something you actually added, or something that isn't supposed to be there, I'm not sure. It could even be on MY end where the distraction lies, ie. my speakers or phones. Just thought I'd mention it though and please ignore if I'm way off base!!

Just thinking and learning here! You are obviously miles ahead of where I am or perhaps ever will be. Thanks for posting this song, it's always so much more enjoyable to actually get to listen to the music with the words than just words alone. :)

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Melody,

Thanks for the reply :D
For my ears, the song is very upbeat, bouncy, happy and that isn't the feeling I have from the words in the first verse.
Good call....I agree it's not the best fit of words and music. It's not the first time I've been accused of putting a happy tune with less-than-happy lyrics. :wink:...I'll have to keep thinking on this one for some alternatives. I think the problem will come up in both vs1 and vs2....have the music match the lyrics and connect as well- minor or sad in v1; free in v2. but still trying to have the listener "favor" or empathize with the caged bird's situation.
There is something, and I haven't a clue what it is, that I am hearing in the recording that I think the song would be better off without.
I'm not sure.....what kind of sound is it? Is it a cymbal crash or drum sound? I mix with headphones so I know it comes across different on different speakers.
Just thinking and learning here!
We all are. No short cuts really; all anyone can do is just jump in from wherever they are and enjoy the journey.

Thanks again,

James

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

POOF V1 "less bouncy" :mrgreen: *

Thanks again, Melody, for the suggestion. I think the change was subtle but made a huge difference in the feel.

Feedback?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Works for me, James. I actually like the contrast between the light airy melody and the heavier subject matter - a bluesier or more downbeat tune might make the whole thing too dark. I only have one small suggestion to make - you sound as if you're straining a little to get down to the lower notes, whereas your voice is quite strong on the higher parts. Maybe keep the same chords, but put a capo on and start a fret or two higher?

As always, just a suggestion. As always, a pleasure to listen, and thanks for sharing.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic,

I appreciate the listen and post :D
you sound as if you're straining a little to get down to the lower notes, whereas your voice is quite strong on the higher parts.

Yes, good ears and insight....the thought had crossed my mind b/c I was just starting a cold when I recorded, so I wasn't sure if it was the cold or my range limits or both... but either way on hind sight that's what I should have done...
Thanks for the confirmation :wink:

Thanks,

James

ReplyQuote
(@melody)
Eminent Member

Sometimes a subtle change is all it takes. :)

I liked that better, thought it worked well.

ReplyQuote