Clear all

Year 5 Week 5 - A Darko Hero

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

One of my favorite movies (and a cult favourite in my age group) is Donnie Darko. The movie (set in the late 80's) is about schizophrenic teenager named Donnie Darko, who has daytime "hallucinations" and sleep walks. One of these sleep walking journey's saves Donnie from death (by jet engine smushing). The movie explores time travel and the nature of god(s)'s plan (never explicitly naming God, or gods). Donnie is given a guide (Frank), a man in a horrific rabbit suit. Among other things Donnie floods the school, burns down a motivational speaker's house (revealing him to be a pedophile), and finds a lover. Donnie is told that in 28 days, the world would end.

Well there are many interpretations of this movie possible, I find the most striking aspect of it is the ending. Donnie is given a chance to give his life to save those around him. It is definitely the most powerful aspect of the movie for me, and is covered very well by Gary Jules' cover of Mad World. Hopefully this song gives you a sense of this aspect of the story.

A Darko Hero

Given the chance
In our last dance
Would you give it all up
For everyone else’s joy?

Donnie had the fortune
To rewrite the tune
Frank gave him a glimpse
Of Armageddon to come

Insane and tortured
And only two choices
Choose the ones you love?
Or give in to the voices?

Jet engine doom
Cellar door room
Fate’s puzzle unraveled
Better choose how to die

All of suburbia’s oblivious
Concerned only with the mischievous
While their forgotten son
Warns them with so much noise

Insane and tortured
And only two choices
Choose the ones you love?
Or give in to the voices?

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

As a fellow huge fan of DD, I think you captured the feel of the film, and Donnie's mental state/s, quite well.

I love the Cellar Door reference, something put in there for a true fan to pick up on :)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

DrunkRock<

I never heard of this film but I like the song and am now interested in
seeing the movie. It took a couple of reads to get it but I think that is
partly because of the subject matter.

One small thing.

You say the film never explicitly names God. Then why do you?

I'm not against the use of God in the song.
(If you read my submission for this week you will see)

It just seems to me that to stay in the spirit of the film as you describe it maybe the word Fate or Karmic would work better.

Just some thoughts

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That is very good advice Celt and I will edit it. Thanks.

Thanks Pete, glad a fan of the film liked it as well.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I haven't seen the film either - when you say "a cult favourite in my age group" well, I have to ask, what is your age group? I'm guessing late teenage/early 20's? Might help me to get a better perspective.....

Notwithstanding, you've explained the plot line well, and your song does seem to capture the mood of the film.....I just checked it out on imdb, seemed to get a decent review.....

My only real criticism, you've got a rhyming scheme worked out for the chorus, but nothing for the verses...maybe you could work on that?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Vic, you're pretty much spot on with your guess (I'm nearing the end of my 20th year).

The rhyming scheme for the verses is AABC (like my song En Route IIRC). The chorus is ABCB. Or do you still not see it?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ah, thanks for pointing out the blindingly obvious - seriously, I don't know how I missed it....it's an unusual scheme, took a little getting used to .....but hey it works, I'm all for anything a bit off-beat....

Must catch up with the film - daughter recommends it - she's 20 - but unlike her musical taste, her taste in films is pretty cool ......

And yes I still like the song!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote