I like it

Now to get use to it...

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 11/09/2007 12:41 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think you're right. The guest might well be a bot. I notice that the bots are always there. And what happens in the lounge is no-botty's business bot our own!

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 11/09/2007 12:57 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And along the lines of bots (don't forget that bots are parasites), check out this thread: http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35380

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 11/09/2007 10:47 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

I'm sure we can restrict which categories the bots can access. I don't think it's necessary though. The more pages the bots crawl the better it is for GN. Most of the site revenue comes from visitors clicking through from search engines. Regular visitors already tune out all the ads, so we need that fresh traffic. I think the benefits outweigh the hazards.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 12/09/2007 3:49 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Do we (or more to the point, Paul & Nick) want these pages specifically indexed by the search engines, though? That's my point. This is supposed to be a private area for admin/moderator access only, but here is a "guest" online in it. That doesn't seem right to me.

Posted : 12/09/2007 7:12 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Do we (or more to the point, Paul & Nick) want these pages specifically indexed by the search engines, though? That's my point. This is supposed to be a private area for admin/moderator access only, but here is a "guest" online in it. That doesn't seem right to me.
I guess we noticed that at the same time and I just started a new thread on the guest in mods forum figuring it was unrelated to the bots.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 12/09/2007 7:19 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Well, I don't even know if the pages are being crawled. It could be that the bot is trying to access the post but is getting a message saying "No". I could look into it, but I'm just not worried about it.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 13/09/2007 12:38 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

OK. It's not like we're really talking about top secret stuff, anyway.

Posted : 13/09/2007 1:14 am
Page 2 / 2