Notifications
Clear all

No Girls Allowed?

136 Posts
46 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You might consider getting her a dulcimer. The simplest stringed instrument EVER!
+1. Ignore that silly finger chording stuff guitarists always want to do, and let her play it the way it was intended to be, with a stick noting the melody string(s) and the others played as open drones. Can't get any simpler.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

'Cept I don't use the noter! I use my fingers! On dulcimer it's called fingerdancing! :D And, there ARE chords! :D For example:

DAD Tuning Chords

Chords in the Key of D

D(I) G(IV) A(V) Bm(VI)

D Major (I)
0 0 2 2 4 0 0 4 0 0 2 0 2
0 0 0 0 0 0 3 3 3 3 3 5 5
0 2 0 2 0 4 0 0 4 2 0 0 0

0 4 0 7 7 7 0 0 9 0 9 9 7
5 5 0 0 0 5 5 7 0 0 0 0 0
4 0 7 0 7 0 7 0 0 9 9 7 9

9 0 0 9 0 7
7 7 10 10 10 7
0 9 0 0 9 7

G Major (IV)
3 0 0 3 0 3 5 0 0 0 5 0 7
3 1 1 1 3 3 3 3 6 6 6 6 6
3 0 3 0 3 0 0 5 0 5 0 7 0

0 7 0 0 10 10 0
8 8 8 6 6 8 8
0 0 7 10 0 0 10

A Major (V) (A7)bracketed
4 1 4 4 1 4 6+ 6+ 6+ 8 8
4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 1 4 1 4 6+ 4 6+ 8 6+ 8
(1) (3) (10) (8)
(0) (0) (0) (0)
(3) (1) (8) (10)

B minor (VI)
5 0 0 2 2 0 0 5 7 0 9
5 1 1 1 3 3 5 5 5 8 8
5 0 2 0 0 2 5 0 0 9 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chords in the Key of G (new chords only)

G(I) C(IV) D(V) Em(VI)

G Major (I) (shown above)

C Major (IV)
6 1 1 3 3 3 6 6 8 8 8
6 1+ 1+ 1+ 1+ 4 4 6 6 6 8+
6 1 3 1 3 3 6 8 6 8 8

D7 (V) (D Major shown above)
0 0 2 0 4 0 6 6 0 0 6
1+ 1+ 1+ 1+ 1+ 0 0 5 5 7 7
0 2 0 4 0 6 0 0 6 6 0

E minor (VI)
1 3 5 8 10
1 1 4 8 8
1 1 5 8 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chords in the Key of Em (new chords only)

Em(I) G(III) A(m)(IV) Bm(V) D(VII)

(I, III, V, & VII, shown above)

A minor (IV)
4 4 4 4 6 6 4
4 1+ 0 0 0 4 4
4 4 4 6 4 4 6

Chords in the Key of C (new chords only)

C(I) F(IV) G(V) Am(VI)

C Major (I) (shown above)

F Major (IV)
4 6 6 6 1+ 1+ 1+ 4 4 1+
0 0 0 7 0 1+ 0 0 1+ 1+
6 4 6 6 1+ 1+ 4 1+ 1+ 4

G7 (V) (G Major shown above)
1+ 0 1+ 3
1 1 1 1
0 1+ 3 1+

A minor(VI) (shown above)

Chords in the key of A (new chords only)

A(I) D(IV) E(V) F#m(VI)

A Major (I) (shown above)
D Major (IV) (shown above)

E Major (V)
1 8 5 5 5 8 8
1 8 4 6+ 6+ 6+ 6+
1 8 5 5 8 5 8

F# minor (VI)
2 2 2 4 4 2 4 4 6+ 6+ 9 9 9
2 0 0 0 2 2 5 5 5 7 7 0 9
2 2 4 2 2 4 4 6+ 4 9 6+ 6+ 9

Chords in the key of Am (new chords only)

Am(I) C(III) D(m)(IV) Em(V) G(VII)

(I, III, V, & VII, shown above)

D minor (IV)
0 0 0 4 4 4 1+ 1+ 0 7 7
0 3 0 0 3 3 3 3 7 7 7
0 0 4 0 0 1+ 4 1+ 0 0 7

You still play the basic melody line on the first strings and let the others drone, but chords change the drone. And, just like fingerpicking on guitar, you get extra notes from the chords to work into your fingerdancing.

Here's Cyndi Lauper fingerdancing on a dulcimer. http://youtube.com/watch?v=fQyNjN_yKY0&feature=related

And here's Stephen Seifert doing "Whiskey Before Breakfast".... http://youtube.com/watch?v=INu3UQ35yVk&feature=related

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

'
Here's Cyndi Lauper fingerdancing on a dulcimer. http://youtube.com/watch?v=fQyNjN_yKY0&feature=related

That song has everything in it I like;
beautiful chord progression, arpeggio (on the guitar), beautiful melody, bass rhythm, female vocals and she's blonde (when she hasn't died her hair neon red).

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

EB, you're just one of those guitarists that has to complicate things.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

EB, you're just one of those guitarists that has to complicate things.
:lol:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@paperdice)

wow that is an interesting read.

ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Eminent Member

Being a very new member I've come too late to this discussion to be able to add anything new, but it's been very thought-provoking to read through it. It's funny how we take for granted that a guitarist is male, and think of capable female guitarists as an exception to the rule.

I'm re-learning the guitar after not having played for a very long time. Back in the day I was 'quite good' - not that that actually meant anything then; everybody and their dog seemed to play guitar which meant that to be noticed you had to be nothing less than brilliant. I remember walking into a guitar shop in London to buy some strings one Saturday morning; there was the usual posse of young males trying guitars out (why do they all have to play the intro to 'Stairway to Heaven'?) Into the shop steps a girl of about 15, dressed in punkish leather and with green hair, looks around, helps herself to an instrument and proceeds to shred, tap, bend, slide and run up and down the frets so fast that her fingers were literally a blur. It sounded immature, like Hendrix meets Metallica, but that's what you'd expect from anybody at that age. I laughed out loud when, during a break in this audio assault course, I noticed that nobody else was trying an instrument any more, and all those male wanabees had retreated to a small group in the far corner of the shop....

Men and women are different in the way their brains work, and thank God for it; life would be very boring otherwise. But I don't think that difference includes either the intellectual ability or the concentration required to be a good guitarist (or a good anything else, for that matter). I think if there's any one thing at work here it just the old self-fulfilling prophecy; most of the guitar players you see are male and therefore they provide a more valid role model for boys than for girls.

Shut your eyes. have someone put on a piece of guitar music you haven't heard before. Can you hear whether the player has breasts or not?

No. Didn't think so. I can't either.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

No, me neither . . . but I do notice the difference when they sing.

Viva la difference.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

SG - you still in England?

ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Eminent Member

Yes - why 'still?'

I live here. It's my country. Along with about 62 million others...

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yes - why 'still?'

I live here. It's my country. Along with about 62 million others...

Two reasons - one people do move about, and two, there are lots of UK/Euro members here, and three, we'll be visiting Manchester soon...

Welcome to GN!

PS: there is a place to put your profile to post your location, if you like.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Shut your eyes. have someone put on a piece of guitar music you haven't heard before. Can you hear whether the player has breasts or not?

No. Didn't think so. I can't either.

To be fair, breasts or no breasts doesn't narrow down the gender. I've see men that need a bra more than I do.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I knew it! I put the idea away, thinking the market for a female-friendly guitar would be too restricted. Thank you, Grungy, the market a man-boob friendly guitar is, obviously, there. I'll be rich - eeeee, fish & chips, twice a week, real shoes and my own rain-coat!!!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Got to laugh at that one, greybeard.....what do you call it? It's got to have a name - but I'm too polite to voice the ones that are currently occupying my brain cell. I'll leave it to the ladies....

On a related note, Nuno sent me a link - actually, I think it's in O&P - something about four hands are better than two. Showed Jeff Beck's bass player - I don't recall her name, but she looks a world class bassist. Time for a vist to Wikipedia, I think.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

.....Tal Wikenfeld is the girl's name.

Have a listen to her here - Tal Wilkenfeld bass solo

Pretty good, huh?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 10