Your Fame experienc...

Notifications
Clear all

Your Fame experience

47 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Usher lives across the street from my grandparents and he throws hella big parties. Well it just so happed that he saw my playing my guitar in my front yard and invited my over. One of the best nights of my life ;D.

Oh and once someone asked if I was Ben Affleks little brother. Of course I said yes. I thought that was hillarious!

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Could be wrong, but isnt there a chance your friend just mentioned you before?

Actually the guy from the band mentioned the pix on a website thing....

Astokes; glad you like the articles; that's why I write em!

DaSniper19; great jam opportunity! WoW!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

DaSniper19; great jam opportunity! WoW!

Heh heh heh... ::) there was no jammin(on guitar anyway) going on that night.

I did check out his recording studio in the basement though. It is now my life ambition to build one when I get a big mansion. Oh and getting a mansion is somewhere up on the list too. ;D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Not fame exactly - but appreciation....
At a pub session recently (one where you take it in turns to perform) I sang Thorn Upon The Rose (by Julie Matthews), and when I stopped singing the pub was completely silent for about 5 seconds. I was completely freaked out & managed to gasp "I've finished!!!" and then my daughter started to clap & everyone joined in. My husband said it was the best I'd ever sung anything.
At the time I just remember thinking "that must have been awful if no one will clap - normally they applaud ANYTHING".
As per Laura's article though - I then started to worry that my next song would be a disappointment.... ah well - its only a pub.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

My little story was to large for the server software to handle.

So I posted it on a webpage. http://testpages.htmlplanet.com/moment_of_fame.html

Hope you enjoy it...Joe

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Wow!  That's an amazing story.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member

I used to play in a church group with another guitar player ,bass and keyboards about once a month in front of about 50-100 people. It wasn't my favorite music but it was kind of fun.  It was a good experience and I kind of miss it

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

I've never actually played in front of anyone, not counting getting drunk at parties, so I don't really have much to tell.

Oh wait.

About 18 months ago I moved out of my parents house, out of town, into this kind of smallish town in the mid-west of my state. Why? To go to TAFE (otherwise known as community college in the US). The second night I was there, the orientation week started (music, food, cheap beer, stuff like that). Anyway, there last guitarist to play for the Superjesus (Tim Henwood) was there, he played a pretty good set. Afterwards we just sat around talking music for about an hour. Then when he went to the toilet, I stole his diet coke and went home. Ah to be young and drunk again. Ah to be drunk again.

For the record, I failed my course (due to various factors, the main one being laziness) and moved back in with my parents about a year ago.

Oh, and the night before I moved back, I got a soap star to sign my home-made t-shirt (it was a comic panel about killing a prostitute - tasteful, eh?)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I saw Nick Torres' name in a british guitar mag "Total Guitar"

Very well made point, nice one :)

Chalmodo

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

...he even supplied a link tho this very website!

rock on Nick!

Chalmodo

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Really?  I'm shocked...

Which issue?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

gah, your gonna make me look arent u!

...brb...

Okay... July 2003, Issue 111.

the one with John 5 on the cover with his very sweet looking custom tele.

Titled "Huss and Nonsense" on page 35

Quotes go...

"I'm writing to you from Alexandria, Virginia USA, so i'm a bit behind the times. Someday we may get Total Guitar direct to the store shelves, but heck, we still dont have decent bacon, so I'm not counting on it. Anyway, about your amazing April issue ( TG108 ) , I do believe there is an error in the article on Pearl Jam (p56). Its not a Hudson Dalton guitar, its a Huss and Dalton. I just did an interview with Jeff Huss and had a tour of their shop. They make incredible guitars, which feature a radiused top to eliminate soundboard stresses. You can see pictures and my review by clicking on to https://www.guitarnoise.com/pick/20030412.php
Nick Torres, USA"

So theres your claim to fame right there Mr Torres :)

I thought i was funny an was like "Go Nick! Go Guitarnoise!" :)

Chalmodo

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Very cool, thanks much.

Now I must go scour the local bookstores shelfs for the issue.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey, we can all share the fame since we all see Nick around here!

;D

Nick, can I have your autograph on my SG?  Better yet, can you sign yours and donate it to me now that you're in print?

;)

That's cool you even wrote in to correct something.  Spent your time writing and spent the postage.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

My first fame experience...

When I was in High School, I sang bass in a doo-wop acapella group.  I loved the tight harmonies.  At the time, there was a 'club' in the Evanston IL called Amazing Grace... it had started as a folk coffeeshop at Northwestern University, and had gained in popularity and outgrew the campus.  They had a phone number (F-A-T-C-I-T-Y) that told you who was playing, and where they were hosting it.

So... one day I called, and the doo-wop group the Persuasions was going to be playing.  Being a frisky teen at the time, I got a date, scored a bottle of wine, and off we went.  The location of Amazing Grace moved frequently; they would rent space and promote whoever they could book.  That night they were in a pretty empty space, and you paid your cover and sat on the floor.  We were in the front row.....

The Persuasions were playing, and we were drinking our wine.  I offered some to the bass singer, who was just an arm's reach away, and he accepted, stepping away from the mic.  My opening :)

I handed him the bottle and took a step past him to the mic, and filled in while he drank.  He looked sort of stunned, but saw I could carry the part, so he chilled and I finished the tune.  Took my big bow to lots of applause as probably the only white bass singer they had ever had :)

Quite the experience.

Tom

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4