Clear all

Your Fame experience

47 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, If you haven't yet, read Laura's fame article.  Fun stuff.

It reminded me of my first "fame" experience.

Now I have been acting on stage, musical theater, singing in bands, choruses and as a soloist for arrgggh, 20 years now.  Every so often I get recognized, rarely though.

But I can remember the first time it happened.

I was standing in line at my old college, waiting to pick up a copy of my transcripts.  It was also registration time so the room was full of students.  When I got to the front of the line the woman standing there said:

"Are you Nick Torres?

"Yes." I replied, kinda quizzically.  I had no idea who she was and was scanning the synapses trying to figure it out.

Then she said,

"Nick Torres, the Actor?"

People stopped talking, trying to figure out who I was.

I had to look around to make sure no one was hurt by the explosive expansion of my ego.

Now it turns out, she had a child who was an extra in a show I did and she saw the show almost every night, but no one else had to know that.

That was the best high ever...

Anyone else have one they can share?

Nick

(@Anonymous)

I had a girl come up to me and ask for my autograph............and phone number.  ;)

I have no idea who she thought i was, but she went back to her girlfriends screaming and giggling like a little school girl...  :o

I'll leave descression to not tell you about the following night.  ;D

Chalmodo

ReplyQuote
 Reef
(@reef)

Yeah.. the high of recognition is so loud it can shatter windows for miles around!

After one of the first battle of the bands my band won, the band's picture was printed in some newspapers and posted up at the club we were playing at. The next day I was sitting at a coffee shop i usually go to and a group of the junior members from the club came up running and asked for my autograph on little peices of paper! Since there were so many of them surrounding my table at one of the busiest times of the day, all eyes turned to me to get a glimpse! I was pretty sure my ego expanding had knocked a few people over so i didn't even turn to look.

It made the friend sitting next to me quite uncomfortable though.

Reef

we erased their images and dance, replaced them with borders and flags

ReplyQuote
(@cryptastix)
Eminent Member

I played a song for my friend and she knew what it was... cool stuff

ReplyQuote
(@fingerbanger)
Eminent Member

Not to be a name dropper, I was on tour with the likes of Bob Segar; Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Fabulous Thunderbirds The Stray cats, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels., And a then unknown band called ("The Romantics") (what I like about you) etc..... You must have figured out I'm from the Detroit Area`. That was in the early 80s'. I never had so much fun in my life. Fortunately I still have a few brain cells left to talk to about it. The name of my band was the"Rockabilly Cats".

"I rocked over Italy and I rocked over Spain
I Rocked in Memphis it was all the same
Till I rocked to Africa and rolled off ship.
And seen them natives doing a odd looking skip
I parted the weeds and looked over the swamp
I seen them cats doing the Ubangi Stomp

Ubangi stomp with rock and roll
Beats anything that's ever been told
Ubangi stomp Ubangi style
When the beat just drives a cool cat wild

Well, I looked up the chief and he invited me in
Said a heap big jam session 'bout to begin
He handed me a tom-tom I picked up the beat
That crazy thing sent shivers to my feet
Rocked and rolled and I skipped with a smile
Ubangi Stomp Ubangi Style

Beats anything that's ever been told

Well, we rocked all night and part of the day
Had a good rocking time with the chief's daughter Mae
I was making time and gettin' in the know
The Captain said son we gotta go.
I said that's alright. You go on ahead
I'm gonna Ubangi Stomp until I roll over dead

Beats anything that you ever told

Sun 250     8)

I'm the one on the left, with the dark glasses. Along time ago.

Let that boy boogie woogie, cuz' it in em' and it got to come out. -John Lee Hooker-
There is no substitute for experience. So get out there and break some strings on stage. -F.B.-

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Wow! Dig those haircuts.

My first wife and I went to a friend's 30th birthday party - he was Best Man at our wedding, and he and I had played together in a band a few years before.

"You remember ......... don't you" he said. "She came to that first video shoot".

Well, I didn't, but she certainly did. Talk about being caught between a Rock and a Hard Place. "Who's She?" demanded my wife, refusing to believe that it really was before we met. "I told all my friends I was going out with a Pop star, and you never called" said .........

Ah, the price of recognition.

A

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Once I found out that a friend of a friend always wanted to be in one of my movies. That's about as famous as I am. Lol
(In case you're wondering, I don't make real movies per say... Just little funny short movies and special effects tests and stuff.)

ReplyQuote
(@mancunian_john)

I met Jim Marshall a couple of weeks ago in Manchester...........yup the Jim Marshall.......Marshall Amps......whatta a guy

ReplyQuote
(@frdh3931)

well i once walked in front of a live tv camera on "accident" mid-interview. i also have done stupid things to get in local papers, and at school events

ReplyQuote
(@comfortbly_numb)

I was famous for about 30 seconds once. Well at least I felt famous. My youngest daughter is a very good singer and was part of her high school choir. She went to one of those "magnet arts" schools. Anyway at the last concert show of her senior year we decided to perform together with her singing Landslide and me accompanying her on the guitar. We had to audition and that was fun and we made it into the show. I will never forget what it felt like to sit there next to my daughter in an auditorium full of kids and parents and play while she sang. At the end of the song she turned to me and we hugged and the entire auditorium rose to their feet in applause. Now I am not sure if they were applauding our performance or the display of affection they witnessed between a father and his daughter but I remember I could not hold back tears as we exited the stage. Best day of my life I think.

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Hey Comfortably; what a great story!  That is truly some of the most fun stuff, is when you play with your kids.  We did Summertime for my daughter's AltoSax recital recently. She didn't have time to rehearse with the piano player, so we just did it at home with my Acoustic.  It played very well to the crowd.  

That and all the parent/kid talent shows at the middle school that we've done (I know I've written about them somewhere in this website).  It's cool to see the kids bloom and the parents enjoy it too!

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

And to bring this back on topic...

My family and I were at a friend's beach party on the 3rd of July (when the town fireworks were scheduled, quite visible from his beach).  My friend is quite well to do (OK, really really well to do, but don't confuse that with us, cuz we're not!) and had hired a bluegrass band to perform.  They were excellent, and my friend, who is, in addition to his lucrative day job, a great musician, was playing his keyboard and singing with him.  I ran up to the mike to harmonize on Brown Eyed Girl with him, and one of the guys from the band said "hey, you play guitar don't you?" Um, yeah.  Not for a living tho, like the band guys... Apparently he'd recognized me from a website pix somewhere.....

So, Fame is out there, and you can grab more than your 15 min, if you live long enough!  ;)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Apparently he'd recognized me from a website pix somewhere.....

Could be wrong, but isnt there a chance your friend just mentioned you before?

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I find posting on this site a small amount of instant fame lol

I count being in the front of a Ry Cooder concert being like a brush with fame.  It was in a small theatre in Sydney (Australia), and you were pretty close, tho everyone was well behaved.

btw really enjoy your articles Laura, so far enjoyed reading very much Conundrum and the interviews with Kelly Ritchie among others.

Also thanks Nick for the Interview with Joanne Juskus, what a beautiful voice!!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

She does doesn't she.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4