Notifications
Clear all

MP3 links broken?

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@elewis33)
Topic starter

Does anyone besides me have problems with any of the MP3 links here? I'm getting 403 errors when trying to open the MP3 links on Wish You Were Here lesson.

Posted : 29/03/2006 4:13 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I just tried it and it worked for me.

BTW, Welcome to Guitar Noise.

I hope you get the link working. David has great lessons.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 29/03/2006 4:22 am
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

I get a strange 403 error as well:

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden

You are not authorized to view this page.. You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you are trying to log in, enter your ID and password, click the Login button and receive a message stating something similar to the following: "You are not authorized to view this page". You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.
In most cases this error ONLY occurs with you, because you don't know what your doing.

Posted : 29/03/2006 5:51 am
(@elewis33)
Topic starter

Hmmm..... Does this site only support IE browsers? I normally use Firefox - which is when I was getting the 403 errors. Using IE seems to work fine. So I'll use it if I have to. I love the site content and it's worth the trade offs in the browser.

Earl

Posted : 29/03/2006 10:28 am
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Firefox works fine. You may have something set funny in Firefox causing the problem.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 29/03/2006 10:32 am
(@elewis33)
Topic starter

Firefox works fine. You may have something set funny in Firefox causing the problem.

OK, now I'm finding that IE doesn't work on some of the MP3 links just like Firefox (doesn't). A 403 Error, in web parlance, is a permission denied error. Fine, I don't have permission. I am a member (of the forums) but I don't see any place where you need to login to do the lessons. Am I missing something here? Obviously I am, I just can't seem to find it. Any help anyone?

Also, the webmaster might want to consider revising the 403 error page where it says "In most cases this error ONLY occurs with you, because you don't know what your doing." According to the W3C HTTP 1.1 protocol, a 403 error is a server problem (as noted below). Possibly manifested by user actions - but clearly a more friendly message is probably called for. Possibly: "Sorry, we were unable to fulfill your request. Please try your request again. If this condition persists please contact the webmaster at webmaster@guitarnoise.com"
10.4.4 403 Forbidden

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the refusal in the entity. If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 404 (Not Found) can be used instead.

Posted : 29/03/2006 2:39 pm
(@davidhodge)

Occasionally with the MP3s, we run into the problem of using up our allotment of bandwidth. When this does happen, it usually happens toward the very end of a month, like now. Try again this weekend and see if it works.

And thank you for your patience with this. Unfortunately, it's one of the things we run into running a free site that gets as much traffic as this one does.

Peace

Posted : 29/03/2006 3:08 pm
(@elewis33)
Topic starter

Occasionally with the MP3s, we run into the problem of using up our allotment of bandwidth. When this does happen, it usually happens toward the very end of a month, like now. Try again this weekend and see if it works.

And thank you for your patience with this. Unfortunately, it's one of the things we run into running a free site that gets as much traffic as this one does.

Peace

Thank you for the reply. Bandwidth limitations weren't something that came immediately to mind - so I appreciate knowing that little tidbit.

I did notice that your MP3 links all go off to http://www.guitarnoise.us instead of https://www.guitarnoise.com . Wondering if this has anything to do with the problem. I'll check my browser settings and post back any findings of interest.

Posted : 29/03/2006 3:19 pm
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Whats happing is some folks aren't right clicking and saving the mp3's to their hard drive. What their doing is streaming the MP3's, by clicking the same one 985 times. If everyone would save the MP3's to their Hardrives would help. Thanks.

Joe

Posted : 31/03/2006 6:23 pm
(@elewis33)
Topic starter

Whats happing is some folks aren't right clicking and saving the mp3's to their hard drive. What their doing is streaming the MP3's, by clicking the same one 985 times. If everyone would save the MP3's to their Hardrives would help. Thanks.

Joe

Joe, what you suggested makes sense. I suppose the folks here at GN don't mind if we save the mp3 clips locally?

BTW, I was able to open all the links that wouldn't open for me when the month rolled over.

Earl

Posted : 14/04/2006 5:12 am
(@davidhodge)

Not only would we prefer it, I think you'll find it a lot more useful when trying to use the MP3 files while reading a lesson.

Thanks!

Peace

Posted : 14/04/2006 5:40 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It would be a pain in the rear putting a "Right-click and save as" tag on all the individual lesson pages that contain MP3's.

Maybe under the Main Lessons page GN could put that reference? "Please right-click and save all MP3's that you access" or something like that?

Just a thought........

Mike

Posted : 14/04/2006 6:37 pm
(@davidhodge)

Paul's working on a few ideas concerning this. Probably won't be any movement on this until we've tried out a few things and figure out what will work best. I've got a hunch, though, that we'll still have some problems!

Keep the ideas coming...

Peace

Posted : 14/04/2006 7:07 pm