8 year old guitar choices

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Signed my son up for lessons and the local music shop recommended 3/4 size guitar with nylon strings. I got GAS from his interest and will learn to play also. Got him a Strat Pack (this is what he really wants to play) and myself a Seagull Grand. We practice together almost every night for 30-60 minutes.

Seems to me it would be better to build up his finger strength with a steel stringed acoustic, however he is having trouble with it. Should I consider a low end nylon stringed acoustic for him for his lessons? I will also consider the advice of his teacher, we go for the first lesson next week

GN is a "fantastic" Web site!

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I dont have answers to your questions but I did want to welcome you to GN and tell you that I think its awsome you are learning guitar with your son. He'll treasure that forever.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I teach a lot of young kids, and your teacher's advice is the same I'd give. Here's why:

- although steel strings will build finger strength and calluses faster than nylon strings, that development involves some pain. It's easy for us to say things like 'no pain, no gain', but youngsters just find it discouraging. Kids under about 11 who start on nylon stick with it at a FAR higher rate than those using steel strings - they practice more, and get more satisfaction from it. From what I've seen, the nylon string beginners are 3 to 4 times more likely to still be interested in the guitar after a year.

- body size makes a huge difference. If the guitar's body is too big, you'll be awkwardly reaching over it to get at the strings, it'll be harder to find the right string because of the forced wrist angle, and the tendency to 'tip' the guitar to make the strings easier to reach is even greater - and that messes up the wrist position of the fretting hand. It'll be difficult or impossible for him to play single string notes on the low E, and chords will be very difficult because of deadened strings.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Tom,
I'm soon going to give a few beginner lessons to some children at the school where my children attend. Do you find that children progess well if they start with a 3/4 size electric? Or does that cause them as much discomfort too?
Thanks.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Tim, I haven't had a student show up with a 3/4 electric yet, so I'd only be speculating. Most come with a full size-guitar; all types of guitars have been represented there - classical, acoustic, electric. The ones who've already come with a 3/4 size have almost all had nylon strings... mostly classical, a few 'folk' with ball-end nylon strings, and only one with a steel-string 3/4 size, a Yamaha. He's 6 and doing quite well with it, but his 5 year old brother tried it and found it too painful.

One thing I'd neglected to mention: if the guitar body is simply too big, I have them wear a strap and play standing. That at least gets the fretting hand in better position, although finding strings is still an issue because of the wrist angle on the picking hand. I'm guessing electrics would be much easier to handle that way, since the bodies have so much less depth.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

RWB,

My story is very similar to yours--son interested, mom gets interested, we now have five guitars (3 acoustic and 2 electric). Both taking lessons, having lots of fun, even though we're not that good yet. :D

Son started first with el cheapo, 3/4 size nylon strung. The size was good, but it didn't stay in tune and we quickly moved to a full-size nylon string acoustic, and from there to a "concert size" (larger than a 3/4 but smaller than a full size) Ibanez metal strung, which is a nice guitar.

I'd say get the 3/4 size, but do get a decent one. We had the little Mark II or Mark V or whatever the heck the cheap brand was, that was about $40 from a dept store. Our thinking at the time was that we didn't want to invest a lot if his interest was going to wane. But it sounds like you're past that point already, and investing in a better-quality guitar could make all the difference.

You've come to the right place (GN) 'cause there are quite a few of us parent/kid combos around here. 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

8 yr old and starting guitar.

I wish i could have done at that age !

Yes nylon strings will make his fingers strong and the steel will be hard on his soft fingers. :oops:

So stick with nylon.Believe me , a nylon string guitar's tone is a unique one.It cannot be intimated , it cannot be subsituted.

I think those who have the courage and strength to play a classical guitar should feel proud.

Good Luck ! and Welcome to GN (and to your son too , who will come here too when he starts learning the internet :D)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

My 10 year old (he is small for his age...he is about the size of most 8 or 9 year olds) uses an electric 3/4 size. I put Ernie Ball super slinky's on it and so far he seems to handle it pretty well. Since he has the attention span of a monkey on meth its hard to get him settled down for longer instruction he can usually handle 1/2 hour without any major pain.

I have been using the Mel Bay method with him. Starting at the high E and working up. Learning a few basic 2-3 note songs and it seems to be going ok. He is young, very musically inclined (he is learning violin at school as well and he can listen to a song and sing it in key) so I am thinking slow and steady is going to work well for him. He is already asking how to bend notes and do hammer on's. lol

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
 RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the great insight from everyone. Gotta love having a reason to go back to the guitar stores. :D

NoteBoat - Thanks for the great explanation. It all makes sense to me and I want to avoid him growing discouraged. I'll have the Seagull (parlor) if he wants to try steel strings along his journey.

We have been working from Guitar Method 1 (Strang) and Hal Leonard. I have to admit, it's great fun to throw in the Strang DVD, strap on the guitars and play along. We can both read the music from the TV screen. Makes me think I should have the wife snap a few photos.

Thanks again everyone.
Robert

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I would add that the guitar's action may be just as important as string choice. The Strat with a low action might well be easier for him than nylon strings with a not-quite-so-low action. And on a low-end acoustic the action might not be ideal, whereas the Strat you can hopefully have set up properly at the shop.

ReplyQuote