Notifications
Clear all

Amp Opinions

21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I have the AD30VT and *to me* it sounds far less plastic and fake then the Line6 Spider series. Now this has nothing to do with digital VS tube, a vast part of the AD sound comes from the digital pre-amp, not just the valve-driven valvetronix circuitry. As far as I can see the biggest reasons why I don't like the Line6 is that they seem to have cut a bit too much corners with the speakers, resulting in much less dynamics, and very limited tweakability. A tube won't help Line6 here.

Don't fall for the 'tube is superior' crap that's floating all over the world, just try each amp yourself and judge on sound, not components. I'll take my Vox over an all-tube Pro Junior any day of the week, but I prefer other tube amps over the Vox. Make a list of features you need and then just see which one fits the bill best. The tube won't fail more often then in any other tube amp, that's a bunch of nonsense. And if it does, you'll just rely on your warranty.

On a sidenote, I believe that in the future all-tube amps will be more and more rare. While new companies like Line6 and Behringer scare the old dinosaurs back to their safe tube amps, the new digital amps by companies as Vox, and more importantly, Fender (and the new digital guitar by Gibson) will no doubt result in more and more people trying these hybrid amps. Modern technology might not replace the old tube amps, but it can definitely add to it!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I On a sidenote, I believe that in the future all-tube amps will be more and more rare. While new companies like Line6 and Behringer scare the old dinosaurs back to their safe tube amps, the new digital amps by companies as Vox, and more importantly, Fender (and the new digital guitar by Gibson) will no doubt result in more and more people trying these hybrid amps. Modern technology might not replace the old tube amps, but it can definitely add to it!

Gibson has gotten a lot of mileage out of that "new" digital Guitar -- Do you realize that they started doing PR on this thing well before Line6 ever released the first Variax? I wouldn't hold out for Gibson to advance the technology.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Gibson and Fender will never be the forefront of technology, but that isn't my point. When these 'classic' brands stat to introduce these kind of stuff it will be easier for people to try it out without having to reach for unknown brands that have yet to prove themselves.

Most of these digital stuff was started by Asian companies like Yamaha and Korg, then brought to the big market by Line6 (and copycats like Behringer), and now we just have to wait till one of the really big brands introduce this stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Most of these digital stuff was started by Asian companies like Yamaha and Korg, then brought to the big market by Line6 (and copycats like Behringer), and now we just have to wait till one of the really big brands introduce this stuff.

What!? That's exactly how Fender and Gibson want you to behave. I don't see any reason to believe F and/or G will do it any better. I think you have no idea how much crap both of these companies have introduced to the market. Like anybody else, they produce good and bad. Neither has been a reliable bellwether for the maturity of a particular technology for a long long time. But on the positive side, they do get more money per product circulating in the economy.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Tubes do blow out, especially if you're cranking them for long periods of time on a regular basis, but that's the price you pay for the sound. It's a cheap replacement.

I don't want to make this into a tube vs. solid state war, and I know there are a few staunch defenders of the ss faith here, so bear with me...

**IN MY OPINION**

Tubes can produce an incredible, unique, saturated sound that reacts to your playing in a very cool way, the sound is pure, it's intense, and I don't think we'll see it duplicated by solid state technology any time soon, especially in low cost amps.

Yes, there is a certain lack of diversity in tube amps, they tend to be very simple, no built in effects, no 75 button console on the front of your amp, but my tube amp easily does the following, with no issue:

-Jazz
-Blues
-Funk
-Rock
-Metal

So I'm just saying, there's lots of talk about discriminating against solid state amps, but don't count out the tubes because of your preconceptions either.

Tubes can do some things that SS circuitry won't be doing in the near future, and they are very useful for metal. You won't see modern metal bands playing anything solid state, it's Marshall JCM800's and Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifiers.

[rant]

And for those saying tube amps are on their way out, that's laughable. Believe me, we're not the first generation to think that, only to fall in love with every aspect of their sound...

I don't think we're any more likely get rid of tube amps than we are to get rid of magnetic pickups in favor of LACE sensors or piezo-only configurations like the Variax. What the young folks seem to not understand is that all thes relics: tube amps and magnetic pickups and bone nuts, and wood guitar bodies, and etc etc etc... these things are part of the sound we like of the guitar!

By all means, go modern, virtually everything about the guitar we play is hopelessly outdated: Build a guitar with a carbon composite body, and carbon fiber fretboard, locking headless design, surgical steel frets and nut, sensor pickups and put it all through your state of the art SS amp... It'll work, it's going to sound fine, but it's not going to sound like the guitar you know.

Music of all sorts has roots, and while we may advance technologically, our heritage and our recordings are still there, and as long as we enjoy the music of the past, we will strive to imitate it and make new music in the same spirit.

Long live the popping tube, warping wood and finicky magnetic pickup!

[/rant]

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I think undercat has a point, but I do think that solid state will become more realistic sounding(obviously) in the future. remember the horrible ss amps in the 80's? I can thell you that the sound has improved dramatically over time and will continue to therefore making them more popular, but I agree with argen, it will never sound like a tube amp. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2