Notifications
Clear all

Chords on "Country Road"

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sue-gr)
Topic starter  

Hi. I am trying to play James Taylor's song "Country Road". The Bm7, A7sus4, and C sus2 I don't know how to play these chords in the simplest form possible? I am fairly new at guitar, so I just want to know the basics of these chords. Could someone please tell me how these chords are played in the basic form?
Sue

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Is it the same song ,as the one by john denver ; if that's the case then , i can help. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Also i suppose if your a beginner , then you must check out these lessons which would be a great help to you in general and will teach you many songs.

http://www.guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

(Oh , Dan Cross is simply cool) :wink:

And yes , welcome to Gnoise site and the forums.There are the best people and hearts out here :)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise :D
Bm7 is a barre chord
X24232
But for a beginner B7 is easier to play and sounds about the same
X21202
A7sus4
X02030
Csus2
X3001X or
X30013
Suspended chords: Take your basic chord such as the C drop the 3rd (in this case E) and play the 2nd (D in this case) for sus2 or 4th for sus 4.
As you can see from the suggested fingering I dropped the E I normally play on the D string and played it open. I then need to get rid of the open E on the high E string so I can either mute the string or play a G (which is the 5th of the C chord)
Just a little extra to show how these chords are formed and why.
Lets examine the A7sus4
Start with a basic A chord X02220 the notes are A,E,A,C#,E first we want to add a 7th. The 7th of the A is a G. I see we are already playing 2 A's so if we lift our finger on the G string we have our 7th. we still have an A,E and C# of the basic chord so we are good so far. Now for the sus4. we need to drop the 3rd (in this case C#) this should be easy we are only playing it in one place on the B string. We need to add a 4th so if we finger the B string on the 3rd fret we get rid of the C# and also get a D (our 4th) 2 birds with one fret!
I hope you don't mind me spelling it out like this. I hope that someone will benefit from knowing a little more about chord structure.

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

Bm7 is a barre chord
X24232
X21202

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think there's an open position voicing of Bm7:
x20202

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@sue-gr)
Topic starter  

Thank you. I understand the first part of what missleman said, but the suspended part is somewhat difficult to for me to understand. I did go to the website that was suggested, which helped.
Sue

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I thought the song was in drop D.....

ReplyQuote
(@sue-gr)
Topic starter  

Tinsmith,
The song is in drop D.
Sue

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Bm7 is a barre chord
X24232
X21202

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think there's an open position voicing of Bm7:
x20202
You are absolutely right, Thats what I get for trying to think too much.

ReplyQuote