Clear all

Electric or Acoustic Electric ?

24 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

As I said electric guitars aren't played much here, I can't really try many things out. Also there aren't probably many brands or even many models choices.

Ordering a guitar online is my first option, that's why I am asking for recommandation. Nevertheless, I am going tomorrow to check the shops. I am not in a hurry but still I am 17 and I don't want to waste more time.

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member

As far as buying online is concerned, some really good deals can be found. But first go to a music shop, check out which guitar model you want, and then buy it online. THat's what my friend di with this les paul.

I'm gonna do that as well, when i get my electric in 3 months.

Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

That's nice.

I was thinking of this guitar http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002D094C/sr=1-16/qid=1111155031/ref=sr_1_16/103-7679638-2480655?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=11971381&s=musical-instruments&v=glance .

Do you know other guitar shops online than amazon with great deals ?

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Basically, there are a few choices:

Solid Body Electric versus semi-hollow body electric versus hollow body electric.

Solid bodies, like most Les Paul and Strats tend to have more sustain as the vibrations of the strings aren't absorbed and transmitted by the wood. The sound tends to be harder edged on these because the wood doesn't vibrate much.

Semi-hollow bodies are usually recognizable by a single "f" cutout in the top and are a compromise between the rich, mellow of a fully hollow body and the sustain of a solid body.

The hollow bodies tend to be used in jazz and blues primarily, and have a full, rich sound due to the tone of the wood.

The second choice is pickups. Single coil versus double coil. Single coils, as you see on most Stratocasters, have a clean, sharp sound. Double coils, such as those on Les Pauls, have a richer, earthier sound.

The other thing to think about is neck size. If you have small hands you m ight not want a "full size" neck. If you have big hands you might want to a flatter, wider neck.

Basically, when buying a guitar, the best way is to put your hands on a specific guitar and play it. No two guitars are exactly alike. They're a lot like dogs -- the best ones pick you, not the other way around.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

amazon looks like thy're fronting for
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=home/content/cb/index

the online shop I've used for small things because they ship outside the US is
http://www.music123.com/

there's also
http://www.zzounds.com/

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well as I said, The choices are limited infact there's nothing than the regular looking solid bodies, single coils. I actually don't know how single/double look like so I can't tell the diffrence.

Anyway guys my style is modern heavy alternative/metal. You guys can recommend something ? I mean I said it afew times I am ordering it online...trying out guitars in shops and such doesn't work =/ .

Anyway I was thinking of epiphone goth series either the flying V or the Explorer the only problem people say changing these guitars strings is hard wich is gonna be a problem for a beginer like me, but there are of the afew chruch heavy tone guitars ( I don't like how les pauls look).

Thanks for the help anyway guys.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Um , you don't have to know what the various pickup styles look like.
Just read the description on the website. It will give you all the details.
If you really want an opinion on a certain guitar before you buy it visit
http://www.harmony-central.com
and look at the user reviews for that guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks man that site helped alot, the only bad things people said about it is it's not as a gibson ( what do you expect for 400$ ? ) and the edges are rounder than a regular explorer ( and I prefer that ). I am so getting this guitar.

oh and btw is there a diffrence between Les Paul, explorer and flying V than the look ? The way some reviews are it seemsl ike there is.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

As far as those go, I think it all really depends on which pickups are used. I haven't played an Explorer or a V (especially Epiphones), but I'd imagine that the wood would make them sound differently than a Les Paul, and that the pickups on the Goth Explorer and V are exposed rather than covered, which might impact the sound a bit.

Hope you enjoy it!

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2