Notifications
Clear all

First Chorded Song

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I learned Blister In The Sun by Violent Femmes. I first heard in on a show I watch. The chords change really fast but Open C tuning made it really easy.
Congrats. I just listened to that song today and started looking for the chords right away. Great song.

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Congrats OWA!

It's fun when you can finally play a whole song all the way through. This is just the tip of the iceberg!

You're doing great!

Mike

I've been able to play songs all the way through, this is just the first song I've played by strumming chords. I still can't change between open chords in non-open tunings though. The hardest thing about learning open chords is you learn the voicings, practice changing between the chords, say for example the CAGED chords, now you've master them. *changes the tuning of my guitar* now I'm right back where I started. That's my biggest problem, I know 3 voicings for the G chord for 3 tunings and no way can I practice them all..........or remember which voicing is for what tuning. I think that is why open chords are so hard for me, either that or I just stink at them. Anyone have any suggestions

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Congrats OWA!

It's fun when you can finally play a whole song all the way through. This is just the tip of the iceberg!

You're doing great!

Mike

I've been able to play songs all the way through, this is just the first song I've played by strumming chords. I still can't change between open chords in non-open tunings though. The hardest thing about learning open chords is you learn the voicings, practice changing between the chords, say for example the CAGED chords, now you've master them. *changes the tuning of my guitar* now I'm right back where I started. That's my biggest problem, I know 3 voicings for the G chord for 3 tunings and no way can I practice them all..........or remember which voicing is for what tuning. I think that is why open chords are so hard for me, either that or I just stink at them. Anyone have any suggestions

More guitars so you don't have to retune. 8) 8) I find it tough to master chords in different tungs unless it's say drop D or Double D.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That's not a bad idea. I might be getting an acoustic for Christmas *found the page in the catologue with the guitars on it bookmarked* So I could keep the acoustic in standard for strumming chords and keep my electric in Drop D or C for the power chords. Or just wait for my V......

ReplyQuote
(@onion_dav)
Eminent Member

congratz on the song! im getting a bit better now and can just about play a few songs. the jam, kaiser chiefs that sort of music! what a great feeling you get when you actually start making progress! thank goodness for this website!

'i want that one...'

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thank goodness for this website!

I know, it's helped me a lot. Biggest thing was fixing my strumming on power chords. Also, teaching me theory, well trying to anyway. I still don't understand keys, chord progressions and scales but I have to admire the people's persistance and trying their hardest to explain it to me. So thank you all for helping me and putting up with me and for any help in the future.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2