Clear all

First Guitar?

37 Posts
35 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering how many of you still have your first guitar? I'm going to be acquiring an acoustic/electric to upgrade my S6+ (less an upgrade than a sideways-grade to a Takamine with built in electronics). Originally, I thought that I'd be ok with selling the guitar to recoup some of the costs of this new guitar, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure I can really let it go. :)

Anyhow, just wondering what you all did with your first guitar?

(@graham)
Eminent Member

I thought I would keep my first guitar for sentimental reasons if nothing else, but I sold it after picking up my first "good" guitar. I just felt that it was a waste of a guitar to have it sit around unused when someone could do what I did with it, mainly fall in love with playing acoustic guitar.

And they did. :D

Graham

'72 Guild D25
'72 Guild A50 Archtop
'87 Guild GF25
'89 Guild JF30
'96 Guild DV-52
'99 Guild JF30-12

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I keep my first guitar for sentimental reasons and also it is a good guitar (a nylon string Ramírez) and different to my new Epi LP. It has some intonation problems but sounds great.

I don't know... I sold my first computer (a Z80-based), really I changed it for my second one, and I was regretting the decision more than 25 years... :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

my first guitar...a stagg acoustic will stay with me forever...mainly sentiment but i still love playing it 8)

since got myself a washburn WD52SW and a Yamaha F310.....The Washburn is my 'sunday best' and the Yammy will travel :P

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my first guitar was a 65 fender mustang. ok for a noob. but no. it is long gone. a 65 fender mustang.
stupid me traded it for an acoustic twelve string. I painted sun rays and flowers on it.
hey, it was the a long time ago.

now I have a hard time parting with my guitars.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

My first guitar was an Ibanez EX and I sold it for the value of a new one. I loved that guitar but that guy just offered me too much for it, so I had to let it go. I wonder where it is now.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Yes I still have my first guitar
A acoustic guitar from the (discontinued) swedish manufacturer Bjärton.
From the early 60´s.
00 size solid spruce top with 12 fret narrow neck (same width as normal dreadnought).
Still sounds good and is very easy to play with the type of strings that I use, Thomastik-John Pearse® Silver Plated/Nylon Wound Guitar Strings

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

my first guitar committed suicide by ripping itself to pieces... True story.

The bridge was snapped along the line of bridge pins and was gradually lifting

One day the string tension ripped the bridge off, along with a big chunk of the top.... It was only a cheapy so not worth repairing.

I haven't had any other guitars that have taken their own life, so i must be improving, at least :wink:

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I still have the first guitar I bought. It's a 1980 Sigma DM-18. It still has an awesome sound.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I have a hard time imagining that I'll ever sell my first guitar, it's a pretty good samick telecaster, plenty good guitar. I can see where if it became redundant I would sell it just for space, but before I buy something that might be better, I'm due for a nice accoustic guitar first, and I don't see that purchase happening in the next year though I've had some close brushes with accoustics in the past (one I would have absolutely bought if I was in my home state but I was havin to spend a lot of money that month and the shop didn't have a case for it at the time). But, once I have a nice keyboard, a quality bass amp, a nice accoustic guitar, perhaps another instrument that might suit my fancy squeezed in there somewhere, then I might buy some super nice electric guitar, but then only if I'm actually playing on a professional basis.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

My first (present from Dad) was a 12 string (right handed) sears silvertone.
i have no idea what happened to it, wish i still had it tho :(

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

my first was a piece of junk no name electric i paid 20 bucks for 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

Jeezus - can't remember what happened to my first guitar - tanglewood 28 - but I know it didn't cost much and the sound was amazing - everyone commented on how good it was! Looking back (now I've moved up in guitars) I still wish I had it :cry:

Don't ever get rid of your first guitar - it was the one you cut your teeth on...

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member

My first is my only, I'm so eager to get rid of it!
Boy, did I take the wrong road with classical...

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
(@metalanarchist465)

I'm still using a horrible Squire Stratocaster, it's about 7 years old now.
I'm saving up for an Ibanez Iceman though :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3