Notifications
Clear all

First Guitar?

37 Posts
35 Users
0 Likes
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

What is weird is that as attached as I am to my first guitar, I can't imagine feeling the same way about my first bass guitar, maybe it just takes time, my bass was not in perfect condition when I bought it and I bought it purely on play and sound (something I wasn't qualified to do when I bought my first guitar), I like the bass a lot, but it's just a bass that will likely get traded up for something better one day).

ReplyQuote
 tree
(@tree)
Trusted Member

I'm still playing my first guitar. It is a Gibson LG1 that was actually my Dad's first guitar some 40-50 odd years ago. I like it so much but time is slowly tearing away at it. I've had some repairs done on it to make it last a few years longer, but once the neck has to be reset I think I'm going to retire that guitar. Definitely keep it around for sentimental reasons though.

so many places that are hard to see
so many places that aren't
so many places we want to be
so many times we are not

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

J
Anyhow, just wondering what you all did with your first guitar?

It was a Harmony H-14 Bobkat

I played it until it fell apart.

http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=65

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I still have my first guitar. It is a black J. Reynolds fat strat that i got with my birthday money 5 years ago. It's a pretty good electric, a lot better than most of the squiers and other cheap electrics i have played. It has numerous scratchs and dings due to my lack of caring when i was younger :oops:, but i think it just adds more character to it. Even though i now have a Jackson, i still play it on a daily basis especially when i use alt. tunings. I think the only way i would part with it would be if Jimi Hendrix rose from the grave and wanted to swap with me for one of his guitars.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I'll never get rid of my first guitar, no matter what it sounds like (though it sounds beautiful to me)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I still have my first - a 1962 Harmony. It hasn't been played in at least 25 years (it was never a very good guitar - very high action, cheap woods, and a so-so tone, so it got retired as I got better ones), but it has great sentimental value.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mooseh)
Trusted Member

I still have my first guitar and I intend on keeping it. Its only a crappy encore electric that I bought off a friend about 10yrs ago but I stripped it down to a nice satin wood finish. All the pickups need replacing badly as they are rusted and it has intonation problems that I can't seem to solve but to me it'll always be special.
Everytime anyone see's it they say WOW what an awesome guitar then they see the name on the headstock :P

http://www.myspace.com/happinessgunpoint

ReplyQuote
(@squaresville)

I'm an extreme beginner so I certainly still have my first guitar.
I really don't see myself ever selling it. It's a beautiful Ibanez Artcore AF75. Even if by some miracle of time and devotion I felt the need to purchase a major upgrade - say an es-175 or something - I would almost assuredly keep the artcore, if for no other reason than sentiment.

Realistically, I'm certain I won't be faced with that decision for QUITE a long time. :)

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I wish. It was a 1972 Fender Mustang with a body that would resonate loudly with a E-tuning fork. It changed quite a few hands. I'm not sure who has it now, but I'm sure they're learning something with it. :)

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Oh, I wish.... http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?modele=H59 This was my first, in red. Teamed it up with a Fender Sidekick 35 with reverb, and was too young&stupid to appreciate what I had. Who was it who said, "Youth is wasted on the young"? mine was. :wink:

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

My first guitar was an accoustic. Cheap and cheerful. Bought it to take on my travels and teach myself to play but it never really worked out and gave up after a couple of months. Work, family, travel, studying for a degree in my own time. The guitar never really stood a chance.

That was about 7 years ago.

I still have the guitar but I think it may be going soon.

Bought myself a Yamaha Pacifica about 15 months ago and started taking lessons. I consider this to be my first guitar. I love it and I'm committed to playing this time round. I'm really attached to this guitar and although there is a new electric on the horizon I can't see me parting with my Pacifica.

Great thread BTW.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I still have my first guitar. It's from 1968.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

That's a beauty Bish.

It's obviously been cherished over the years judging by its amazing condition.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

A 70's Hohner acoustic. I still have it, I think it's somewhere in a closet. The neck was almost broken, so the neck was pulling away from the body so the action on the thing was unreal. I thought I could fix it at the time so I drilled a big hole in the back underneath the neck to see if I could snag it and keep it from separating. Turns out that was a fruitless endeavor. The only bright side was that the screw wasn't long enough to stick through fretboard.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My first guitar was way back in the 70's - cheapo nylon-strung acoustic, not a clue what happened to it, Had plenty of guitars over the years, but none of them was "the one".....

About 5 years ago I was guitarless and wanting to play - Marilyn (The Mrs) surprised me with an Encore EA-255 Acoustic for my birthday - cost around £80. I've had a few guitars that have come and gone since then, but I'll never get rid of the Encore - way too much sentimental value!

These days it's usually kept in open G - used it last week to record a new song. I still think it's got a rich full tone - you could pay a lot more money for a "better" guitar and not find that tone.

Over the last year or so I've sold a Squier Strat, Epi Wildkat, Yamaha Acoustic, and a Freshman acoustic 12-string...I'm almost happy with the guitars I've got now.....but that's another story!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3