Notifications
Clear all

Hello All (Newbie Here)

35 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@selfie)

Hi people,

How on EARTH are my fingers supposed to assume this position comfortably? It seems like my ring and middle fingers just don't want to come apart enough. I just started playing -- toying, really -- as I needed something to do during the summer. But not being able to form this C chord is very discouraging. Anything I should be doing differently? My pinky wants to become involved (instead of the ring finger), but I wonder if that will mess up my chord progressions later?

Excellent forum and website, by the way. Some of my discouragement has melted away already, but still, I just can't imagine it ever feeling natural to hold a C chord (let alone easily switch to that position from a G or some other variation.) Is it possible my hands are just naturally inept or is this a common experience?

Selfie

P.S. Apologies, I just realized I might have posted this in the wrong area. Sorry about that.. didn't mean to step on Scholar's toes.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Do what gunslinger says.

"Don't be afraid to ask for help."

That is what all the members of GN (with one notable exception) are here for.

Who's the Noteable exception? NoteBoat perhaps?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Hi people,

How on EARTH are my fingers supposed to assume this position comfortably? It seems like my ring and middle fingers just don't want to come apart enough. I just started playing -- toying, really -- as I needed something to do during the summer. But not being able to form this C chord is very discouraging. Anything I should be doing differently? My pinky wants to become involved (instead of the ring finger), but I wonder if that will mess up my chord progressions later?

Excellent forum and website, by the way. Some of my discouragement has melted away already, but still, I just can't imagine it ever feeling natural to hold a C chord (let alone easily switch to that position from a G or some other variation.) Is it possible my hands are just naturally inept or is this a common experience?

Selfie

P.S. Apologies, I just realized I might have posted this in the wrong area. Sorry about that.. didn't mean to step on Scholar's toes.
Welcome aboard. Yeah you should start a new thread to introduce yourself.

I would think some chromatic scale exercises would help with getting those fingers to do the right thing.

ReplyQuote
(@cifran03)
Eminent Member

Hello every one,

I am also new on this web site and playing, I started about 5 weeks ago for my second time. I always wanted to play the guitar but I never had the time or the encouragement to do it. 5 years ago I bought a guitar and started to take lessons, my teacher was pretty good but we were using a book (Mel Bay's GUITAR METHOD, grade1) very boring book, then my teacher had to move to a different location that was kind of far from were I live so I did not continue the lessons.
This year I am 41 years old and I decided that it was time to learn to play the guitar, I got a new teacher. This teacher used to tour with some bands like, Limp Bizkit, Widespread Panic, Tonic, Cake, Sister Hazel. I am taking right now 30 min lessons on Saturdays; I think I am getting better than before. Let me tell you, at first my fingers did not want to move or it will take a tank just to move them. Now my fingers are a little bit more agile but I am still struggling when changing chords, I guess I just need to keep playing and playing. There are some days that I play better and other days forget about it but I still have the spirit..

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Welcome cifran03, copy all this into a new thread, it will get more attention.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3