Clear all

I know I shouldn't do this!!

27 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Any reason why the guitarport wouldnt work with an Ovation acoustic electric? Their website is a little confusing and overwhelming.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

It should work with any guitar that has a pickup...but I am assuming that if the pickup is that good the sound won't be either?

You may want to start a different thread for this topic.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

OK...I know you all are going to yell at me for doing this
I ask all of you...is this NORMAL? Am I weird
We wont ever yell here, maybe just type a liitle loud.
I practice or play whatever I feel like whenever I feel like it. That is what I enjoy and enjoyment is why I play.
Now on the other hand, if I was younger and looking to make some kind of career out of it perhaps I would stick to a more structured practice routine.
Are you weird? maybe, I don't know I never met you. But consider that weird for the most part is when someone doesn't conform to what the majority think is how things should be, and there is nothing wrong with that.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

OK...I know you all are going to yell at me for doing this
I ask all of you...is this NORMAL? Am I weird
We wont ever yell here, maybe just type a liitle loud.
I practice or play whatever I feel like whenever I feel like it. That is what I enjoy and enjoyment is why I play.
Now on the other hand, if I was younger and looking to make some kind of career out of it perhaps I would stick to a more structured practice routine.
Are you weird? maybe, I don't know I never met you. But consider that weird for the most part is when someone doesn't conform to what the majority think is how things should be, and there is nothing wrong with that.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

"I know I shouldn't do this!! "

Yes you should. Anything that keeps you motivated and teaches you something is worthwhile pursuing.

I set my practice time to some structured time, usually about 1/3 of it, and then the remainder noodling. Noodling can be anything from playing songs I know to learning new songs or tinkering with equipment.

Whatever floats your boat :!:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I should add that sometimes when I know I don't have a lot of time I will pick up a guitar and just play anything that makes me feel good. Sometimes I pick one up and just check it out like the relief, action etc.

Now to my practice schedule I said 1/3 of my time is structured so January through April is structured and the rest of the year is noodling. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've found the greatest leaps in my playing ability (or lack, thereof) come from "noodling", just letting the fingers wander and mixing chords with little "riffs".
This is by no means a recommendation, but I find that I'm at my (creative) best when I'm tired and I've had a couple of beers (I believe "maudlin" is the word).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I find that I'm at my (creative) best when I'm tired and I've had a couple of beers (I believe "maudlin" is the word).

Me too and also the least thirsty that I am all day :lol: But then again you don't have to be thirsty for beer. As a matter of fact I think I am not thirsty for a beer right now so see ya later.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member

i like these last few responses to this post. I've read a lot of stuff on GN about why practice scales if you dont want to play scales? Pretty darn good question. I want to have friends over for some BBQ, drink a little too much and make a fool out of myself playing songs on guitar. So, for practice, I grab a beer, stick my feet in the pool, and hammer out about an hour of Yellow submarine and Yer So Bad, no scales for me, but thanks anyway. I'm having a blast because it sounds cool, I'm relaxing and having fun. I think my wife is in favor of almost anything that relaxes me. Even if you are in this to develop a career in music, you are still in it for you. But then if your not having fun with it, why would you want a career in music? If its not fun and you arent good, you might not eat. Go fudge some balance sheets and make a trillion dollars. The best thing for me is when I play something moderately difficult (relatively speaking), and it sounds good. I get the biggest kick out of that. IT sounds like thats what your doing. Ar eyou going to be ties to this thing port forever. no. at some point you'll be cranking out Hendrix without thinking about it. milk that port for all its worth. No different from a teacher saying to you, do this...put your fingers here...no not there...here...yes thats it...now this...and it sounds like music!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

It's funny because I'm the one who asked this question and what am I practicing now...Dexterity Exercises! (That I got from another forum):
1. Practice 1-2-3-4 dexterity and strenghtening exercise: 20 MIN

e------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-
B----------------------------------1-2-3-4---------
G--------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------
D------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------
A----------1-2-3-4---------------------------------
E--1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------

e--4-3-2-1----------------------------------------
B----------4-3-2-1--------------------------------
G------------------4-3-2-1------------------------
D--------------------------4-3-2-1----------------
A----------------------------------4-3-2-1--------
E------------------------------------------4-3-2-1

Next: move to a 5-6-7-8 fingering position and use the prior technique. Do this all the way up the fretboard *with metronome* and thenback down. it shouldnt take very long, so you might be able to get about 7-8 up and down repetions in (for beginners).

Then I plan on doing these:
2. Techniques: 30 MIN

When practicing, it is important to get the most out of every second that you practice. that is why we break techniques into 10 minute sections. Here are the 3 techniques one might practice

A) Hammer-ons

e--1h2--1h3--1h4
B----------------
G----------------
A----------------
D----------------
E----------------

B) Pull-offs

e--4p1--3p1--2p1
B----------------
G----------------
D----------------
A----------------
E----------------

C) Bends: Do half step and full step bends

e--1b--2b--3b--4b-
B------------------
G------------------
D------------------
A------------------
E------------------

Practice this on each of the strings to get a feel for how hard you might have to strike the different strings, considering the different thicknesses of your strings.

I figure if I can mix it up a bit all sides of me will be happy...you know Freud:

ID
EGO
SUPER EGO

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I also do the 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1 to warm up except I go 2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2 then 3-4-5-6-6-5-4-3 and so on till I hit the 12th. In other words start at 1 and move up one fret at a time

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've found the greatest leaps in my playing ability (or lack, thereof) come from "noodling", just letting the fingers wander and mixing chords with little "riffs".
This is by no means a recommendation, but I find that I'm at my (creative) best when I'm tired and I've had a couple of beers (I believe "maudlin" is the word).

Just love that maudlin' noodlin'! :D

Maybe there's a song title there - "Noodle Soup"? or is noodle soup just another name for jamming?

I agree that noodling is not wasted time and is in fact often very productive. If the pedants disagree I tell them it's improving my fingers' kinetic memory, and that usually quietens them down for a bit.. :o

Over the last year I've developed quite a precise and "by the book" sort of left hand, which is quite fussy (and pretty accurate now) about finger placement, chord structure etc. By contrast, my right hand is a shameless noodler! They're a sort of "odd couple".

So far I've made very little attempt to develop what my right hand does. I just let it noodle away while I concentrate on the left hand. Oddly enough it seems to like not being bossed around and it has built up quite an impressive repertoire of tricks and patterns. :shock:

If someone tracked what my right hand does, notated it and then asked me to play it I would just freeze right up, and there's no way I could do it. It would take me weeks to replicate even a short passage.

I do need to knuckle down and get a few formal thing happening with the right hand too, but I'm almost reluctant to "tame the noodler"!! :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2