Notifications
Clear all

locking tremelo??

26 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

lol never say never, if your ever interested in playing with divebombs u'll want one of these :D

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

and after looking at how to change strings on those things, i now know i never want one

Get one, someday! I got mine (on what's now my main guitar) several months ago without know what I was getting into, because I liked everything else about the guitar.

And it's true, you have to learn how to change the strings, which I finally got around to recenty. It isn't really so hard, just take an evening when you have time to do it slow.

It's a bit of a pain when you need to tune or change a string and can't find an allen wrench.

But, if you ever want to really WHAM on the whammy bar, there ain't nothin like a floyd rose.

Best,
Ande.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Nobody really likes changing strings on Floyd Rose or Kahler Kridges, then setting the action or intonating is a different story, it can get wild. :shock:

I have a funny story on those guitars, just trying to inject some humor, FWIW, not to show off. I mean it as an unusual phenomena, and almost a joke.

I taught my 5 year old daughter how to clip off the ball ends of the strings, to turn the thumbwheels, and use hex keys - fairly safe IMO. And then my 16 year old son would do the rest and change strings.

Boys from the nearby high school, and in the neighborhood would bring their shredder axes over, on foot, and my kids would do a string strange and set up in 30 minutes for $35. It was their little job as techs.

This was my son's own guitar, or one of them at the time - some of you may know it's a Steve Vai, signed 1987 Loch Ness Green Ibanez Jem, one of 777 made, and of course limited to just the one production run.

It has that gawd-awful bridge, but one of the best, most usable examples, stayed in tune, played like a champ, razor-like sound, plus the extra pink colored cutaway or carve-out for some really wild and wooly whammy action. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Wow thats a really awesome guitar, and its on the floor :O noooooooooooo

What if your dog finds it there and marks it as his own, but yeah I have an Ibanez and I can wham all I want and it doesn't go out of tune unless, I do it excesivelly X_X.

Thats why i always keep an allen wrench in my case.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Wow thats a really awesome guitar, and its on the floor :O noooooooooooo

What if your dog finds it there and marks it as his own, but yeah I have an Ibanez and I can wham all I want and it doesn't go out of tune unless, I do it excesivelly X_X.

Thats why i always keep an allen wrench in my case.

Thank you Coolnama! Here we go, all fixed. Now we can sprawl on the floor
and the guitar may be safer, uh if we don't try sitting in the chair, I guess? :mrgreen:

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Wow lol how can you do that xD, I always keep mine in my case or in my hands, meh its prolly cause its new by next week I'll have it laying in the floor xD.

That looks like a comfy chair to sit in while playing, or waiting to be played in this case.
Does your son still play it ?

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Wow lol how can you do that xD, I always keep mine in my case or in my hands, meh its prolly cause its new by next week I'll have it laying in the floor xD.

That looks like a comfy chair to sit in while playing, or waiting to be played in this case.
Does your son still play it ?

Funny you should ask, it's a long story, took years to unfold, but I can make it short, or can I?

The main issue is that he was razzed teribly for owning that guitar; people called out sarcastically there's the boy with the greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen or puke guitar!

We then discussed getting a Peavey Wolfgang, and thought that there might be some similar jealousy perhaps, and that he would be no further ahead. So he got a new "Back in black" Gibson SG.

We decided to sell the Green Jem because it was the one that everybody seemed to want on the Jemsite forum, a holy grail of sorts, and he got enough green stuff to buy a car, holy cow! :lol: but he didn't ...

He then sold the new SG at the request of a buyer, without trying. He had already been through all of the classics, the 70's and 80's with his teacher anyhow, was ready to dump him and learn what was current on radio or MP3.

So, he simply ordered this new Ricky from Pick of the Ricks in New York, except I had to step in and help because he got hassled for being a kid, or juvenile customer, not taken seriously, just a wannabe in their experienced perception.

He loves the Rickenbacker, it is everything he wanted, except for the hard driving stuff ....... sooooooooo, he built a Strat that Fender wouldn't make, which covers all the territory from the Ibanez, through Strat-dom, including the SG too, with EMG's and a fat bridge humbucker of course. :) Little sister knows what the chair is for. Stuffed animals, Strats, posing as Pink Floyd and David Gilmour? Sorry, off-topic ... :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Sorry, off-topic ... :lol:
Posts with pictures of guitars in them are almost never off topic. 8)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

^^ ditto

No problem lol I love Pink Floyd. So people bothered him because of the guitar, man I would be proud of owning that green monster ( monster in a good way, like Hulk :D ).

But I don't think there is anything better than having a guitar custom-made for yourself ( if you have good tastes :P ).

Alot of people try to hassle me because I'm a kid, thats why I am always up-to-date on everything, I went through some serious reserach and atleast an hour of testing before I decided to buy my Ibanez, can't trust anybody these days ( yep my mom and my dad are businesspeople xD ).

That guitar will be worth alot more than its worth today a few years down the road :D, but it will be worth even more a few more years down the road, so its best just to keep it :D.

Its like my uncle and his 83' strat , he says he'll sell it, but he won't he'll give it to me, because I don't like his Les Paul, ( too heavy ), when he's older :P. Nah I wouldn't do that to my uncle... but its an 83' strat, so time will tell.... :twisted:

Oh btw, that's a nice pickguard on the Strat, does she play ?( as good as David Gilmour :O ? :P )

Wait do you put all your guitars in that chair ??? xD does anyone get to sit there if they are NOT holding a guitar ? lol

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Coolnama, thanks for the recent welcome on my intro thread, and for your stories of family and guitars here.

I am going to have to put some pictures apparently, to avoid hijacking this thread. Guitar pics make it relevant? 8)

The chair is mainly for photo opps, but so is the couch, which a little more dangerous. I dislike my couch pics - they look too contrived, but if you ever see one, it is to cut down on the background clutter and keep it simple. We've used the chair for guitars that we're playing because it doesn't wear them out, putting them back & forth into stands and on hangers, which are usually full anyway.

I appreciate your compliment on the pickguard. I built that Strat with the gold anodized '57 (8 screw) guard or scratchplate to pay honor to Gilmour's famous '54, serial number #0001. It has Rio Grande Fat Boys from Texas, the full magnificent 7 sound options for Clapton covers and onboard fuzz to switch to Hendrix at the pull of a pot. :lol:

My daughter reads music but only plays a note a time, also just 4 strings, and a little bass from violin training. She can play a chord if I put her fingers in the right position. She has very long fingers, long arms too for full length or long scale.
That's lucky - I am more short, fat and stubby. :shock:

Trying for a F chord, which I can't do myself without barre. That's my Strat, but her own lightweight MIA 1980 Bullet Deluxe - the red and blue Lace Sensors are new. An E chord there, I think. Her own Strat is '58 Cadillac pink & pearl with '69 Custom Shop PUPs signed by Abigail Ybarra, Fender employee for 50 years? And she always had a Blue Flower Tele, after declining the Pink Paisley. :roll:

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Wow lucky people with long fingers, she can play an Echord with the thumb in that position, I can barely play a D chord with the thumb high up there, I use the classical position ( thumb position ).

I can read music , but I'm just starting so its a note at a time until like an hour later where I've digested the whole piece ( well, depnends on the piece :P ).

But dang you guys have lots of guitars, I'ma have to go up to Canada again and look for some guitars.

Wow 7 way switch ? O_O how does that work if it only has 3 single coils ? O_O.

And wait you are saying that little girl has a Strat from the year 1958 O_O with Pups signed by somebody, seriously ? O_O

Yes I ask alot of questions xD

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2