no, it's in a different key
the rest of the tab is

8 8 8 88 7 7 77 7 5 5 7 5 ten

then repeat the first bit again, then

8 8 8 88 7 7 77 ten ten 8 5 3

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

In your original post mike, You are playing A#/Bb on the 3rd fret of the G string, That note does not fit with the key of D.
I just worked it a bit further, The next note after what you have tabbed should be Eb, As far as I can tell it is in the key of Bb.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I just want to play my favorite songs right now . . .
I just want the PHYSICAL skills I need to play the songs I like.

Every person on the planet who can move their fingers has the physical skills they need to play the songs they like. School bands are filled with kids who have the skills necessary to play any song you put in front of them. But it's only those people who develop their ear who become musicians capable of playing songs well enough that they are worth listening too.

I don't mean this as a personal criticism, but rather an observation. No one can become a good musician over-night. Instant gratification, however enticing the promise, is a myth. Developing a musical ear is essential to playing well on every instrument. After all, music is about making sounds that sound good. It is with our ears that we "see" our efforts.

A musician who hasn't developed a musical ear is like a blind painter.

Thank you for proving my point. My original post stated I HAVE to get this done by Tuesday at the latest and this week is a Holiday week...So besides the usual family visit I have to get ALL my paperwork caught up before the break. I'll be lucky to get any quality practice in in the next 5-6 days...It DOES take time to develop the ear...Time I DON'T have right now.

I thought Jingle Bells had to be easy enough to learn through tab...problem was it needed to be in this Key...I now believe it was the Key of C (you're right Evolution) because I now remember the teacher telling his students C.
In your original post mike, You are playing A#/Bb on the 3rd fret of the G string, That note does not fit with the key of D.
I just worked it a bit further, The next note after what you have tabbed should be Eb, As far as I can tell it is in the key of Bb.

Thanks for the info. The band teacher was just winging it VERY quickly...it sounded good so we stuck with it...I do believe now that it is the Key of C.
no, it's in a different key
the rest of the tab is

8 8 8 88 7 7 77 7 5 5 7 5 ten

then repeat the first bit again, then

8 8 8 88 7 7 77 ten ten 8 5 3

THANKS Jason...I'll try it out tonight and see if I get the band teacher's approval.
The reason I said you can move it up to the 4th string is because I believe that would make it the key of D just at a lower pitch.

You can also use it to make the same pattern you already have, In other words make the open E in mine equivalent to the G 7th fret in yours and see if you can work out the remainder of yours from mine.

Thanks Again for all your help Nils!!! I'll give that a go as well and see which works best.

I hope no one thinks I am looking for short cuts to playing guitar. I am smart enought to know there aren't. But this particular case is something I needed to learn quickly. I have seen similar posts of people who joined a new band and had to learn material quickly. Now most likely they were more experienced than I and new various keys. I just play what I see. Will I ever learn theory? Most definitely...when I can devote the time it deserves. I have Noteboat's book just sitting here and I only looked at it briefly. I feel bad because he got it out to me so quickly. I am not ready to tackle this yet. I used to take judo and I liked the way our instructor taught us. He'd show us a few moves and techniques to peek our interest. Then he injected some philosophy a litle at a time so as not to discourage us. Little by little he added more and more. This kept us learning the physical skills while the philosophy wasn't just thrown at us. He knew we were ready to learn philosophy. I need to know that I am ready...currently I am not.

Before you ask...yes I had a bad day today...I am sorry if anyone feels like I am unappreciative...I am VERY appreciative! Plus I found out this morning that one of my other posts was deleted because of someone's reply...it seems that that has happened to me ALOT lately. (I know Nick is working on this now..thanks Nick).

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Before you ask...yes I had a bad day today...I am sorry if anyone feels like I am unappreciative...I am VERY appreciative! Plus I found out this morning that one of my other posts was deleted because of someone's reply...it seems that that has happened to me ALOT lately. (I know Nick is working on this now..thanks Nick).

Didnt sound unapprecitive to me.. But I hope you have a great evening and a very HAPPY Thanksgiving. Good luck on the song.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2