Notifications
Clear all

Printable Scale Sheets?

33 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

I'm not sure what you mean. They're not totally different. I edited my message above a bit.

I would encourage you to look at your book and Joe's text. Play Joe's "Scale 3" five times through. Then, look at your book and play the second "Caged" image five times through. Then, switch back and forth. Notice anything?

Your second caged image and Joe's "Scale 3" are the same box shape. Yours is in the key of C# and Joe's is in G.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

thx AxeSlasher,

I re-read you post and I looked at the to images and you are right...it's just confusing when they are shown differently..

Now...With Joe's scales...do I play Scale 1-5 all at one setting or do I play each seperately...

Sorry to change the focus of this topic...
Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

Not a problem with me! Perhaps an admin can thread this into a new topic.

Looking at the image you posted, the first box shape that you show is in the key of G# and the second is in the key of C# (these are the black dots where he is showing the "root" of the shape).

To hear how the pentatonic major scale should sound tonally, start on a black note and play to the next black note. That's the pentatonic scale (there are 5 unique notes, thus "Penta" = 5 as in Pentagram or Pentagon).

Joe's image shows all 5 box shapes all in the key of "G". Therefore, each box shape is played in a different position on the fret board. If you were draw them as your image shows, cut them out, and lay them side-by-side, you would see that they all fit together like a puzzle.

By learning all 5 box shapes as Joe shows you, you are actually experiencing the 'entire' pentatonic major scale all the way across the fret board.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3