Notifications
Clear all

While My Guitar Gently Weeps- Beatles

29 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Wow... seeing video clips like that only want to make you practice more.

good stuff. This ain't your daddy's souvenier shop ukulele.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

It looks like a Martin ukulele. I saw one in a shop a couple of weeks ago, when I was thinking of picking up a little ukulele for my 6 yr old to strum (break). I turned it over just to check the price: $350-400!!

I remember thinking, "What kind of idiot would pay $350 for a ukulele?". I thought it was just really expensive wall ornament.

Guess not.... I'm learning new things everyday.

John A.
Midland, TX

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@drink2much)
Eminent Member

"They say Eric Clapton secretly played the lead guitar."

....and Eric gave me a fantastic Les Paul guitar, which is the one he plays on that date. So, it worked out well.
..... ehh.. how bout I trade you this guitar for that wife :twisted:

knyuck knyuck knyuck

Michael
she's kinda bitchy but if it a nice acoustic we could talk...

I know the whole clapton and harrison wife swap, I just couldn't resist

There are about five things to write songs about: I'm leaving you. You're leaving me. I want you. You don't want me. I believe in something. Five subjects, and twelve notes. For all that, we musicians do pretty well.
Elvis Costello- Esquire, NOV 03

ReplyQuote
(@drink2much)
Eminent Member

If it can be played on ukulele, then guitar ought to be a snap, right? :)

My apologies if this has been posted before, but if you have the bandwidth, you got to see this guy....

http://www.transbuddha.com/index.php/buddha/comments/4469/

John A.
Midland, TX
thats Jake, when I was in Hawaii he was all over the TV on commercials and such he's like 19 or 20, the rumor I heard was he did the ukelele for over the rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, no i didn't make it up, which means nothin unless you saw the episode of ER where DR. Green goes to hawaii and dies of a brain tumor, it's a great tune somewher over the rainbow/ wonderful world mixed I downloaded it off itunes just cause it's mellow, and that's my style

There are about five things to write songs about: I'm leaving you. You're leaving me. I want you. You don't want me. I believe in something. Five subjects, and twelve notes. For all that, we musicians do pretty well.
Elvis Costello- Esquire, NOV 03

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8331221397249623904&q=While+My+Guitar+Gently+Weeps&hl=en

this is worth watching if you like the song

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

thanks for posting frank!

...miss you George! :cry:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

thanks for posting frank!

...miss you George! :cry:

+1.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Well done version.
The only differences ( and they are "color" differences only), I use from your version are shown as boldface:

(Am)I look at you (Am7/G)all see the (D9/F#)love there that's (Fmaj7)sleeping
(Am)While my gui-(G)tar gently (D/F#)weeps (E)

In the first line, my reason for the D9/F# and the Fmaj7 is so I can maintain an open high E note (first string) in the progression.
In the second line, the reason I put a slash chord for the inverted D, is so the bass player and lead player will both move through the low F# on their way from the low G note to the low E note.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

OK, I have a couple of questions. Please don't think I am looking for a free lesson... well... :oops:

I found a tab:

INTRO
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1
---6---6---------6-----6---6-----------------6-5H6P5-
---8-----8-------8-8---8-----8---8---8-8-----8-------
---0-0-----0---0-----0---0-----0---0-----0---0-------
-0-0---------------------------------------0-0-------
-------------8---------7---------6-------------------
-----------------------------------------------------

2 3 4 1 2
---5---------6-----6-
-8-6-6---8-----8---8-
---7---7---0-----0-0-
---0-----0---------0-
---------------------
---------------------

Verses
I look at. .all see.. love. . . sleeping. . while .
I look at. .world . . notice. . turning . . while .
I look from.wings . . play. . . staging . . while .
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1
---6---6---------6-----6---6-----------------6-5H6P5-
---8-----8-------8-8---8-----8---8---8-8-----8-------
---0-0-----0---0-----0---0-----0---0-----0---0-------
-0-0---------------------------------------0-0-------
-------------8---------7---------6-------------------
-----------------------------------------------------

Which I can understand to be played as written.

And chords (not lined up here the way they are in the actual tab):
Em Bm Em Bm
I don't know why nobody told you

Dm Am Dm
How to unfold your love

Em Bm Em Bm
I don't know how someone controlled you

Dm Am Dm
They bought and sold you.

Em Bm Em Bm
I don't know how you were diverted

Dm Am Dm
You were perverted too

Em Bm Em Bm
I don't know how you were inverted

Dm Am Dm
No one alerted you.

But I'm not quite sure how you would strum this, as well as Wes's version (which I'm going to keep too). I hear a lot of picking in the song (or maybe I am whacked-out).

1. If strumming, do you just get the feel for it? I probably should know the answer, but this song seems unusual to me, and a lot harder than it probably is.

2. And what the heck are the numbers at the top of the tabs? They seem to be not lined up. I thought they were the beats. I could probably remove them; I haven't seen any other tabs with them. I heard the acoustic version only once and I was blown away.

3. On the end solo:
Solo- A Minor Pentatonic
Play Am, Am7/G, D7/F#, F, Am, G, D, E, Am, Am7/G, D7/F#, F, Am, G, C, E

I'm confused about the idea of the chords v. the Am pentatonic.

I'm really sorry for the questions. I should get back to taking lessons. :oops:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Minotaur

First of all, there is no such thing as a stupid question if it is sincere. :D

I don't get that tab, I played it and it doesn't sound correct at all, and it is in the wrong key, as are the other set of lyrics with chord changes. Listen to the song yourself and you will see I wrote it out in the correct key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHChc2I7FKk

I think that first tab was an attempt to capture the piano sounds in the intro. That's cool, but I would stick to the guitar parts. Still in the wrong key though.

1) Yes, basically you just feel it. Listen to the song carefully. Try to hear the strum of the acoustic guitar in this song and copy that. If you listen closely, you will hear the strum is really pretty simple. For the most part it is just:

One Two Three and Four One Two Three and Four

Or, as my 6 year old son's beginner piano book teaches, think of quarter notes as walking notes, and eighth notes as running notes. So the strum would be;

Walk Walk, Running Walk, Walk Walk, Running Walk,

Sounds silly, but if you say the words the timing comes out right. :D

Your strum would be Down Down Down-Up Down, Down Down Down-Up Down...

2) The numbers in that tab are the count, One Two Three Four (quarter notes)

3) OK, I am talking about 2 seperate guitar parts there. The chords are the chord progression played during the solo. But the lead guitar is played with the A Minor Pentatonic scale. You cannot do both at once, but you might want to record the chords played during the solo, then go back later and play a solo over these chords in the Am Pentatonic scale.

And don't be afraid to ask questions, nobody minds a sincere question and is glad to help.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Minotaur

First of all, there is no such thing as a stupid question if it is sincere. :D

Thanks. I'm amazed at the time and effort you guys put into this site. :)
I don't get that tab, I played it and it doesn't sound correct at all, and it is in the wrong key, as are the other set of lyrics with chord changes. Listen to the song yourself and you will see I wrote it out in the correct key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHChc2I7FKk

I think that first tab was an attempt to capture the piano sounds in the intro. That's cool, but I would stick to the guitar parts. Still in the wrong key though.

I think you are right about the piano part. I assumed when I read the tab at first that's what it was.

And there's no way I'll doubt you saying it's in the wrong key. :lol:

So into the garbage can it went.

And I'm listening to the song right now.
1) Yes, basically you just feel it. Listen to the song carefully. Try to hear the strum of the acoustic guitar in this song and copy that. If you listen closely, you will hear the strum is really pretty simple. For the most part it is just:

One Two Three and Four One Two Three and Four

Or, as my 6 year old son's beginner piano book teaches, think of quarter notes as walking notes, and eighth notes as running notes. So the strum would be;

Walk Walk, Running Walk, Walk Walk, Running Walk,

Sounds silly, but if you say the words the timing comes out right. :D

Your strum would be Down Down Down-Up Down, Down Down Down-Up Down...

OK, fantastic. Thanks. This is going into the .doc along with your version.
3) OK, I am talking about 2 seperate guitar parts there. The chords are the chord progression played during the solo. But the lead guitar is played with the A Minor Pentatonic scale. You cannot do both at once, but you might want to record the chords played during the solo, then go back later and play a solo over these chords in the Am Pentatonic scale.

OK, I thought so. I know that a bunch of the songs I like and have put into my songbook so far are going to be a challenge because they have multiple guitar parts. Heart of Gold was a challenge for me because I didn't want to drop the harmonica solo, but I don't play harmonica. So I just tabbed it out as a guitar solo between the chords. It kind of works. I like the idea of the recording.

Thanks again... :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thanks. I'm amazed at the time and effort you guys put into this site.

It's always nice to be appreciated - and Wes is definitely near the top of my list. I'll probably have him blushing now, but I've learned SO much from his tabs....I'd probably still be struggling on Horse With No Name if he hadn't started tabbing out all those classic rock oldies.

For myself, I've learned so much from GN over the last few years - so I try and put something back whenever I can. (And having said that, it's probably about time I got off my backside and tabbed a few songs out.) It's always a bit of a thrill when you help someone else learn what you've finally mastered, or at least are comfortable with - maybe you'll be doing the same in a few month's time, Minotaur!

Take a little, give a little back - that's the way it works. I know I still owe a lot!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

maybe you'll be doing the same in a few month's time, Minotaur!

Take a little, give a little back - that's the way it works. I know I still owe a lot!

:D :D :D

Vic

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. :D

Btw, I started trying out the intro as written out by Wes, and guess what... I almost got it to sound like the song. At this point my chord changes and timing, especially on new stuff is a little shaky. OK, a lot shaky. But I was encouraged. I always thought "I can't play that... no way". Well, yes way. :D

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I used to & still do, play it in my head & play the Am Pent scales. Amazing thing is they all fit anywhere except the break.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2