Notifications
Clear all

Must Have Effects Chain??

22 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I think you got the order backwards. I would go Wah first, Tubescreamer, and then EQ. Of course nothing is written in stone, and putting effects in a particular order can give you an individual sound. But there are reasons for putting effects in a certain order.
I just wanted to echo this - Distorted wah is very different to wah'd distortion, and both have their place.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

My three essention effects:

EQ (could function as booster, so less need for that one now)
Compressor
Reverb

I personally don't do chorus much, and effects like wah and delay are usually more specific effects to be used in certain songs, whereas the above effects will probably be on at every song, one way or the other.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey man. I am really glad you made this post. I am in the same boat as you. I bought my first tube amp and now I am trying to decide what pedals I need/want. My guitar teacher just says I dont need any. LOL

So far I have bought the "Fish n Chips" pedal.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Hey man. I am really glad you made this post. I am in the same boat as you. I bought my first tube amp and now I am trying to decide what pedals I need/want. My guitar teacher just says I dont need any. LOL

So far I have bought the "Fish n Chips" pedal.

Jim

He's right and wrong.

If it doesn't sound good played clean, it won't sound good no matter what pedals you use, so the standard teacher response to students asking about effects is "don't use any!"

But, effects are a lot of fun, and one of the best reasons for a tube amp, in my view, is that you have a great clean sound so you can actually hear what the effects do and play with them.

Back to topic:

I'd vote eq, wah, volume pedal, tubescreamer, chorus/delay, compression.

Yes, it's more than 4 pedals, but in my mind only 4 effects. EQ and Volume are foot controls, and not really effects in my mind.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Should you go for it, delay is one thing Line6 does extremely well. The DL-4 delay modeler or Echo Park modeler pedal may seem pricey at $250 and $150, respectively. But they provided excellent 'verb, slap, Echoplex (analog tape 'n' tube), various filtered and gated analog and digital delay simulations and even reverse. The DL4 also has a short looper.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Hmm.

Personally I'm not too sure.

Effects are a new thing to me as I always told myself not to get distracted by weird noises when there were some basics I had to lay down first.

As such I now feel I use effects more to suit the style, than to just add something to show off. This means I have about 13 pedals, where I rotate the use of 4/5.

If it's for rockier stuff I go for:

EQ -> Compressor/sustainer -> Boss DS-2 distortion -> Dunlop Cry Baby wah

If it's more mellow stuff I look towards:

EQ -> Noise surpressor -> *insert topical pedal here* -> Boss DD-3 delay

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

My effects chain:

Guitar> VOX Wah Wah>Fender Hotrod deluxe amp>people's ears

Its simple, but effective.

Amen to that...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2