You *know* you're a guitarist when...

231 Posts
108 Users
0 Likes
105.6 K Views
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

...you see someone try to air guitar and get very aggrivated by their improper technique

...When not one dirty thought enters your mind when you break your g string while trying to finger a minor...Oh man....whew...

...when you actually know how to pronounce Yingwe Malmsteen

...when your idea of fun is sitting in one place for 3 hours cutting your fingers on wires

...when "gig" replaces "job" in your vocabulary...hehe...school of rock

How you know you are NOT a guitarist:

You think Humbucker is a dirty word

You've never heard of Django

You treat guitar picks like they are pieces of gold

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

When youn watch Antiques Roadshow every week just in case
they show a vintage Fender, Gibson, Pre-war Martin D28 in near mint condition, or anything made of wood with strings.

And when you know how to pronouce Django

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...when you actually know how to pronounce Yingwe Malmsteen

(warning: pedantic mode=on)

...and know how to spell it, too: Yngwie
:shock:

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

bah! sorry. *kicks himself*

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

When your daughter has a bunch of friends down.....one of them has a guitar....and not only do you end up jamming, you get asked for tips.... like "you're pretty ancient, do you know 'Mr Tambourine Man' or 'Turn Turn Turn'".......

And someone asks "what's a minor 7th" and you know how to form the chord....

And they actually LISTEN.........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

When a women you've never met flashes you because you played the song she requested . It was either play the Judas Priest song that the other male patron was asking for or something from " our " era . Now , I have been a fan of Judas Priest for many years but I took one for the team (bass player and drummer ) . We played " Smokin' in the boy's room ." That apparently was acceptable to her !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

You know you are a guitar player when every Friday night your phone rings with "Hey Man, we need a lead player that will work for free."

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I may not be a "guitarist" yet, but I´m getting there....

You know you´re a guitarist when....

You´re going on holiday for a week in Spain and have to take a guitar with you because you can´t bear to be separated from your beloved instrument for so long....

You spend as much to buy a hard case as the guitar cost, because you´ve heard so many horror stories about baggage handlers....

You spend the first night of your holiday playing guitar in the hotel bar and don´t have to buy a drink all night....

You wake up the next morning with a broken nose (having fallen over three times after taking advantage of all the free drinks) and your first thought is "Is the guitar all right?"

You want to go home half-way through your holiday ´cause you couldn´t bring an electric guitar and an amp....

And the guy who plays piano in the afternoon asks you if you know "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"....and you do.....

And he asks you to play a set with him!!!!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

You know you're a guitarist when...

You have to look up "haircut" in the dictionary

You lose all respect for bassists

You regularly use the term "wanker", hoping no one asks you to define it

You've never had a job, your nicest clothes are a pair of blue jeans and a flanel shirt, you rarely shave, etc. and the ladies still love you

Your callouses are so thick it hurts to masturbate :P

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You know you're a guitarist when....

The only posts worth visiting on Games and Trivia are "Guess that Riff" and "You know you're a guitarist when......."

Vic

(Sniff....doesn't look like my beloved "Transfers" thread is going any further....sniff!!!!!)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

When my cousins arrive from overseas for a visit, and I drag my butt out of bed on three hours sleep so I can get my practice time in before showing them the sights.

When I have a nightmare that I'm late for lessons at the music school.

When we're dreaming about what to do with the money if we win the lottery, and my wife says we'd buy a bigger house... and my first thought is having more space for the home studio.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

... it's a sunny spring day and you're jumping out of your skin at the opportunity to spend the afternoon in a musty garage... jamming.

ReplyQuote
(@cubone)
Trusted Member

...when you get depressed if you accidently ram your finger into the desk and brake a nail.

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

...it's a warm spring night and you're sitting out by the fire with your Martin because you've both been indoors too long.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

.....when you bring extra guitars (acoustics this time) for a short weekend vacation on an Island just so no one feels left out.

I just went on a quick vacation to an Island on the east coast with my wife, cousin, my best friend and his wife. My cousin doesn't have an acoustic yet and my friend brought his 12-string. We were jammin' and drinking.....I mean....lovin' every minute of it.

*Disclaimer*
We're all over 21 and we were not driving anywhere.
JUST HAVIN' FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And no we did not need the alcohol just to have fun!

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 16