Notifications
Clear all

Building an absolute newbie guitar program

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Oh, I don't know. You said it pretty succinctly.  I just skimmed everyone's posts and made my own fairly redundant remarks.

By the way, there are many of us old flatulent types around.

[move]GEEZER ROCK RULES![/move]

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I know this is late, but I just got here. Mark if I was paying you to help me learn guitar you would have a very short career with that lesson plan.

Being a beginner at guitar, and being with a group of beginners in a class, most people starting out (and feel free to correct me, but it's likely been a while since you started), in my opinion, want to learn to play a song they are interested in, and learn to do that fast. This likely can involve "basic"chords, progressions, strums, and chord changes. I would, unless your students expressly wish otherwise, keep theory to a minimum for the first 5-6 weeks. After a simple song and some of the common chords are "mastered" (by mastered I mean fit to listen to) I would then introduce theory in an "okay, those are the chords and how some of them can be put together to make a song, but how did we arrive at what makes a chord? And how do we decide how to put them together?" approach. Judge interest by the reaction of the student.

Basically what I'm trying to get across is to get some hands on, practical, stuff happening first, and then work the theory in on the basis of what is already in the hands of the student. This is a firm basis for most forms of adult, and later childhood, educational endeavours. To be quite frank, if someone just wants (right now at least)to learn to play the basics, much of the stuff you listed will bore the poop out of them.

Just My $0.02

Bye.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2