Clear all

Hey joe chord progression

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello - i am having trouble understanding how the chord progression from hey Joe is built.

C G D A E - All major chords.

if i look at the notes in these chords, we get

A B C C# D E F# G G#

I cant really see how these chords are put together like this - i am guessing the key must change somewhere in the progression, maybe from G major to E major?? but i dont know for sure?

it is a chord progression i like and would like to understand it a little bit more so i can copy it/sort of :-)

thanks
Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Al, it's modulating - that means it changes keys. It's doing that by a common method, modulation by fifth.

To really understand how it works, look at the construction of a major scale - here's C:

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

The pattern of the scale is WWHWWWH (whole step from C to D, whole step from D to E, half step E to F, etc)

Now notice that the scale can be divided into two four-note segments (called tetrachords) with identical patterns: CDEF is WWH, and GABC is also WWH.

That means when we experience a tetrachord, we don't know if CDEF is the first half of the C major scale, or the second half of the F major scale: FGABbCDEF. Likewise, the second tetrachord of C major is the same as the first tetrachord of G major: GABCDEF#G.

What that all means is that keys that are a fifth apart, like F and C or C and G, are closely related. (This is also the origin of the "circle of fifths")

Coming back to "Hey Joe", you have:

C G D = the IV-I-V of G
G D A = the IV-I-V of D
D A E = the IV-I-V of A

Three keys, three identical overlapping chord changes... each a fifth apart. You're going from one key to the next by using "pivot" chords - chords that appear in both keys (G is the I of G, but it's also the IV of D). In this case, the 'overlap' between keys is two chords long (G D is I-V in G and IV-I in D), making it even smoother.

Make sense?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Perfect sense.

Thanks Noteboat.

So from what you are saying, i could use that method to modulate keys in any chord progression also?

Thanks, i will see if i can use this!!

Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

That's my first song......i practiced the chords all night....musta drove everyone crazy,but I could play the chords the next day....

ReplyQuote