Clear all

Noteboat's theory book

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It hasn't been announced yet, but my review of Noteboat's theory book is up.  To make a long story short, it's great.

Check out the review here

Limited time special discount for GN readers and free shipping.

(@knotwilg)
Eminent Member

Will the book be available in Belgium (or Europe) ?

Dieter

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

We're still working on European distribution; until that's set up, you can order direct from me... the link to follow for the discounted price is in Nick's review.

Tom

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

How long is limited time ;D.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A piece of news for our Euro contingent.

I now have a stock of Noteboat's excellent book and, until further notice, I am offering them at a price of EUR 24,00 inclusive of postage and packing to any country in Europe.

To order, you can send me an  email to [email protected]. Payment is easiest by Paypal, but you can use electronic transfer if you wish. Any other method is open to discussion, but I'm not going to accept beans, pigs, chickens, etc .  ;D .

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I bought it a few weeks ago, it's great. Lots of useful stuff, especially the detailed section on standard notation. Plus if you have ?'s you can reach Tom through the site, so that's a big plus

I even got a signed copy! ;D

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Ok this thread has been up for awhile.

I am intersted in Noteboat's book.  I am currently in the market for a music theory book.  Can I just get some basics on what the book includes.  I didn't think I knew anything about music even though I had played the flute for many years but it turns out that I kind of do.  I know how to read music and basic chord theory and stuff.  I read the review and it is good but I can anyone on here or Mr. Serb himself, please tell me a little more about the book.  Is it in regular book stores because if it is I will go and have a looksee.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Did you see Nick's review?

https://www.guitarnoise.com/reviews/music-theory-for-guitarists/

You could also PM Noteboat.  

Here's the Amazon listing for it -- complete with another glowing review from Nick!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0972472304/qid=1079798182/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-1651701-3327126?v=glance&s=books#product-details

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've never gotten used to "Mr. Serb"... it's just Tom.

Here's what the book covers:  Chapter 1: The Characteristics of sound (pitch, dynamics, duration, timbre); Chapter 2: Rhythm (beats, accents, rhythm classifications); Chapter 3: Notes and Rests; Chapter 4: Time Classifications and Time Signatures; Chapter 5: More ideas in Rhythm (syncopation and polyrhythm); Chapter 6: Pitch notation; Chapter 7: Clefs; Chapter 8: Scales and modes; Chapter 9: Major scales; Chapter 10: Minor scales; Chapter 11: Key Signatures; Chapter 12: Key relationships (relative keys, circle of fifths); Chapter 13: Chromatic and other scales; Chapter 14: Intervals; Chapter 15: Triads; Chapter 16: Chord inversions; Chapter 17: Extended chords (7ths, 9ths, etc.); Chapter 18: Transposition; Chapter 19: Chord symbols and names; Chapter 20: Chord progressions and cadences; Chatper 21: Musical terms

There are also some sidebars throughout the book that go into topics like harmonics, conductor's patterns, experimental notation methods, unusual key signatures, etc.

It's largely in standard notation -- you don't need to read music, though... there are lots of fretboard illustrations and a couple examples in TAB.

The bookstore market has largely taken a pass on it -- they're more interested in books that will sell millions of copies.  Barnes & Noble has ordered a few, though, so you might try there.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Thanks a lot Noteboat.  I hope it didn't take you too long to type in all the chapters you have.  All of the reviews that I read were good but they aren't that specific on what the book covers.  That gives me a much better picture of what your book incorporates.  I'm definitely considering buying it.  I went to a Sam Ash initially to look for guitar theory books but found that book stores are better to find them, isn't that crazy?  I have a barnes and nobles near me, hmm... and a barnes and nobles gift certificate... interesting.  I'll have to go take a look.

Thanks again,
Purple

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@jstar)
Eminent Member

I just ordered mine!    ;D  I can't wait to read it.  I know a whole lot of this stuff already, but I'm always looking for new ways to see it and to teach it.  Reading some of Noteboat's posts convinced me I had to have a looksee.
 8)

Music is therapy. Music is celebration. Music is everywhere. Music is life!

ReplyQuote