Clear all

House of the Rising Sun

81 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
49.5 K Views
(@davidhodge)

Hello and welcome

The chords for the song are listed. If you look at the TAB notation, you'll see the chords printed right above the TABs.

The chords in the song are Am, C, D, F (Fmaj7 is used in the lesson) and E.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

My tele loves this song  :)

I've been strumming a final Am to give it more of a definate ending, does that make sense? I don't quite trust what my ears are telling me  :-[

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@teleman)

My tele loves this song  :)

I've been strumming a final Am to give it more of a definate ending, does that make sense? I don't quite trust what my ears are telling me  :-[

My Tele Loves it too. :)

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

8)
What settings are you using?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Jobs99 writes:
Hi friends, i am beginner guitarrist from argentina and i have a question i what scale i need to soloing in house of the rising sun? the song is in Am but i have a E chord that is not in the Am scale?.

Thanks in advance

Jorge

And again, a reminder to avoid duplicate threads, please!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Take a look at this lesson:

Minor Progress. You'll see that David discusses the distinctive chord progression for "House of the Rising Sun". Of course, the song utilizes arpeggios already, as you know from the lesson. It seems to me that if you want to develop a solo, you should work out of the A minor pentatonic.

Hope that's helpful!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@cubone)
Trusted Member

the best thing about this lesson is that I learned how to use bassnotes as a way of transfer in to the next chord. As a result of this lesson I actually wrote my first fingerpick song. :D Been picking away like a madman all day at it and I think my neighbours are glade that I've found a new appartment and will be moving out soon. :)

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

8)
Cool. Even your neighbors are happy!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I liked this lesson, as I play the song quite a lot at guitar group. I usually do the Animals picking while others strum, but it's still not that exciting. I can't believe I've been playing for two years and can't even think to put simple walking patterns into a song like this. Makes all the difference. Also, I prefer the fmaj7 sound to the the full f, keeps in the tone of the song. Now to sing and play while picking :? .

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

Hi GN Members,

I hope it is okay to post this addtitional freebee on this thread. I recently enjoyed David Hodge's lesson over on the main part of this site HERE and it reminded me so much of how this song is such a useful learning tool. We all learned this one if you grew up in the 60s and 70s. It uses very simple chords and you can not only strum along or pick the notes with a regular flatpick or plectrum but you can also fingerstyle this one. Rick-Slo's recent "SCAMP" free lesson on the AcousticPlayerMagazine forum is another great example of this fingerstyle arpeggio technique. A great chops builder even beginners can get their hands around and enjoy.

I have prepared some tablature below but you can also download the actual TEF files and play them in your free http://www.TABLEDIT.com program for mac or pc. You can then play along with it over and over at any tempo. But of course you can also watch my two free videos below and refer to the tab images.

Heads up. I appreciate your kudos and feedback which is helpful but what I really want to see is more interaction among people helping each other and posting progress reports, trouble areas etc. We are trying to build a community based on these principles at APM and I hope some of you will take a more active roll in helping others, posting and taking part. You DO NOT have to be a guitar expert to do this. You just have to be willing to try. If you find mistakes let me know. This is not 100% note for note with the original Animals version.

Thanks and have fun,
LB

TABS1 - DOWNLOAD TABLEDIT TEF FILE FOR THE BEGINNER VERSION 1
VIDEO1 -DOWNLOAD OR PLAY THE VIDEO TEACHING THE BEG. VERSION 1

TABS2 - DOWNLOAD TABLEDIT TEF FILE FOR THE ADVANCED VERSION 2
VIDEO2 - DOWNLOAD OR PLAY THE VIDEO TEACHING THE ADV. VERSION 2

The chords as fretted from string 6 to string 1 left to right

6-5-4-3-2-1 string #
-----------------------
x-0-2-2-1-0 A minor
x-3-2-0-1-0 C major
x-x-0-2-3-2 D major
x-x-3-2-1-0 F major with E note added
0-2-2-1-0-0 E major
0-2-0-1-0-0 E7

SIMPLE TABS OF THE BEGINNER VERSION

SIMPLE TABS OF THE ADVANCED VERSION - Note that all we are really doing is shifting the 3rd not of every chord backward in time 1/2 beat and adding an additional note in the mixture. It requires a little more practice than the beginner version but sounds more like the Animals band. I recommend mixing both versions depending on how you feel.

Note: This free lesson will eventually be listed with all my other free lessons on my site at http://littlebrother.nlpd.com . I also usually have a free lesson in every edition of APM

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

I made a new FLATPICKING VIDEO this morning when I woke up that shows how to strum or use a flatpick to pick the individual notes. This gives all players a way of seeing the song in every possible method of picking. I taught my teenage son this song last night and I found this last technique really turned the light bulb on for him. Thanks for taking part and giving me your great feedback.

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Littlebrother,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide support on the lessons :!:

I like flatpicking myself and attempted to link to the video for flatpicking. The link pulled up an error page :(

Is there another link to get to the video :?:

Again thanks for sharing your expertise :D

BS

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

Yes I had to fix that link. It's working now and thanks for all your feedback and progress reports.

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Thank you - The link works fine; Now I need to make use of the information.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

im playing it just like david said and i dunno it doesnt sound like the song.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6