House of the Rising Sun

81 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
49.5 K Views
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

im playing it just like david said and i dunno it doesnt sound like the song.

Welcome to the asylum for the musically insane!

Keep at it. As you get more comfortable, it should become a bit more fluid and you'll recognize it. Are you fingerpicking or using a pick? I use a pick myself when I play it.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

im finger picking,ill try using a pick.
so what ur saying is to keep on playing it until it will sound better>?
thx allot 4 ur help.

im playing it just like david said and i dunno it doesnt sound like the song.

Welcome to the asylum for the musically insane!

Keep at it. As you get more comfortable, it should become a bit more fluid and you'll recognize it. Are you fingerpicking or using a pick? I use a pick myself when I play it.

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

btw i forgot to thank u 4 the welcome thingy:)
and another thing,i recorded my self[on my cheap mic]on the computer and uploaded the file to a site whice u all can download and can tell me what is worng.
http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0DKM5QKEJO2AS0RAW6SVTWTIBV
thx in advance fellows.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
I tried downloading it but I have a dial-up connection and not enough time to let it download.

Have you played along with David's mp3 files or played along with the CD? That can help you get the timing and the phrasing right. That may be what's troubling you. If you haven't done that, give it a try.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

btw i forgot to thank u 4 the welcome thingy:)
and another thing,i recorded my self[on my cheap mic]on the computer and uploaded the file to a site whice u all can download and can tell me what is worng.
http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0DKM5QKEJO2AS0RAW6SVTWTIBV
thx in advance fellows.
It sounds like you are close. You're high E string is a 1/2 step too flat or low. I would recommend slowing down to a slow steady pace and count out loud as you play the notes, 123, 123, 123, 123 and so on. Hit one note as you call out each number. Just stay on one chord like Am until you get it right.

Listen to this additional coaching I recorded for you on MP3. I hope this helps.

PLAY MP3 COACHING

LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

hey man thx allot 4 recording ur self and help me out.
my AM,C,D,F is ok i think,i just got a rythem problem,ill try the 1,2,3 thingy but i got 1 more question,ur method of playing this song is a little bit diffrent then david way,am i right?cuz ur doing the 1,2,3 and then upstroke 1,2,3 again,but david is doing 1,2[on the 5 and 4 string's]and ur doing the 1,2,3[on 5,4 and 3]
am i right?...
whice 1 should i play?..cuz as a beginner i have problems switching ways of playing.
thx again

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

Nostra,

Neither way is correct or incorrect. So just pick and choose the pieces and methods that you like the best. I gave you two more ways to play it.

In fact once you get pretty close to the way I am showing you or David then you may decide to modify it to your own style. So don't be afraid to just relax and let some magic happen.

If you listen to the band "The Animals" from the 1960s play this song you may find out they in fact play it even more differently from performance to performance. Music is a living thing sometimes so think of it as a paint brush and paint what you feel. Maybe if you study each of these lessons individually you will gain something valuable from each lesson.

Take what you can use and leave the rest, as they often say.

Good Luck,
LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

here is another recording of my self as i am doing the 1,2,3 way with the chords: Am,C,D,M,Fmaj7 like u showed me on the coach mp3.
here is the link:
http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0YXYH54JGQITH1QXXAJGHJ4446
thx

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

oh alright
thx allot ill just give it a go
dont mind my last msg its ierelevent
thx!!!
Nostra,

Neither way is correct or incorrect. So just pick and choose the pieces and methods that you like the best. I gave you two more ways to play it.

In fact once you get pretty close to the way I am showing you or David then you may decide to modify it to your own style. So don't be afraid to just relax and let some magic happen.

If you listen to the band "The Animals" from the 1960s play this song you may find out they in fact play it even more differently from performance to performance. Music is a living thing sometimes so think of it as a paint brush and paint what you feel. Maybe if you study each of these lessons individually you will gain something valuable from each lesson.

Take what you can use and leave the rest, as they often say.

Good Luck,
LB

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

Be careful nostra you still have a string that's out of tune. Sounds like the 1st string is 1/2 step flat or low.

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

oh ok.ill get on it.
thx 4 the tips man:)
this place is sure is nice geting help and every thing
Be careful nostra you still have a string that's out of tune. Sounds like the 1st string is 1/2 step flat or low.

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

hey littlebrother
i tried doing it with ur strumming way with the 1,2,3 and didnt play the 4 last bars on the end of the song and did the start thing all over again,sounds realy nice.
now i can play it on the apergio way and the way ur playing it too.
man thats great thx so much man,david sure did helpd me allot too in his lesson
thanks guys.

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

Nostra,

You just made my day. Plus we have one more enthusiastic and motivated guitarist. Thanks for the update and I am very happy for you.

Doug LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey LittleBrother

You hit on a good one here with your extra coaching. The strumming approach is a lot easier to sing to since it requires a lot less concentration and then on breaks you can throw in some picking for a solo.

Nice :D

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

hehe,no man u made my day,this is so fun!!!.
Nostra,

You just made my day. Plus we have one more enthusiastic and motivated guitarist. Thanks for the update and I am very happy for you.

Doug LB

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6