Clear all

House of the Rising Sun

81 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
49.5 K Views
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

its about finger picking way now on the song.
when ur playing the E string and then the E7,but it doesnt sound right playing the E7 after the E[dunno doesnt sound good]and going back to Am again,u got any suggestion with what to replace the E7?
or maybe im just doing it incorrect.
thx allot man sorry 2 bother ya so much:D

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

how can u do that?..
maybe in the end,do the start all over again just picking it and not strumming it?
Hey LittleBrother

You hit on a good one here with your extra coaching. The strumming approach is a lot easier to sing to since it requires a lot less concentration and then on breaks you can throw in some picking for a solo.

Nice :D

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You can intro it by picking then switch to strumming. Then again at the end.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

ok nils ill give that a go in a bit
thx allot.
EDIT:
dunno doenst sound real good cuz im having diffculties playing it with a pick[finger picking]i can only strumm with the pick.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Yes, it is difficult to switch between finger picking and then strumming with a pick unless you get the hang of moving the pick around between your fingers. OR finger pick and strum with you thumb and index finger.

I am better with a pick then I am with my fingers so switching was not a problem.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

alright man thx allot but 1 more thing please..
i dunno when im sturmming like littlebrother is doing,its sounds like it[kinda]but like.."too hard",too noisy i think,littlebrother just doing it real nice.
hes only sturmming the NON bass strings right?and its just a metter of practice right?
thx

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It really is just a matter of practice. It takes awhile to get a consistent smooth and light strum. Just relax your strumming hand as much as possible. He is mostly strumming the treble strings or more specifically, the strings that are in the chord. For example, for the A you don't strum the 6 (low E) string and for the D you only strum the bottom 4 strings. You can save yourself a lot of trouble on up strums by just hitting the bottom 3 strings since the bass strings will still be ringing from the down strum anyway.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

thx 4 the fast reply.
and yea when i play the bass it doesnt sound too good.
ok ill play it smoothly as i can
thx allot

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I made a new FLATPICKING VIDEO this morning when I woke up that shows how to strum or use a flatpick to pick the individual notes. This gives all players a way of seeing the song in every possible method of picking. I taught my teenage son this song last night and I found this last technique really turned the light bulb on for him. Thanks for taking part and giving me your great feedback.

RT click save as....

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Has anybody heard or  recorded a version of this song with a guitar playing the solo rather than an organ.

don't get me wrong I like the organ solo but one day when I was still in the church group during a break in practice, the other guitarist started playing house of the rising sun and I started playing some pentatonic lines along with it and it didn't sound half bad.

I'm guessing a decent lead guitarist could make it sound awesome

This will date me a bit, but the best version I have of this song is by The Ventures, from their vinyl L.P. "Walk Don't Run Vol. II" : Dolton BLP-2031 or "stereo" BSP-8031. I believe I got it in 1965.
I learned my lead version from this record**...it's my favorite piece to play. 8)
I love the song so much that my original '45' by the Animals is in a frame on the wall.
**When I first moved from rhythm playing to some pickin', I learned virtually all of my non-country licks from Ventures records.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Add another who is starting this lesson. My guitar teacher gave me a lesson to play House of the Rising Sun with barre chords. Which I have been doing mostly. But as it got more boring I started looking for other ways to play it and came across this lesson. Its been great fun as fingerpicking is a skill I want to get really good at. Maybe when I get barre and fingerpicking down I will be able to fingerpick my barre? LOL Thanks Hodge and others. Lots of fun.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

La®®iJo writes:
Hi, learning the fingerpicking with the lesson house of the rising sun. I have the feeling to stay the same finger with the same string. Thumb last three strings, the 3 other strings with the 3 other fingers. In the example Dhodge goes to with the thumb the first three strings, I don't feel comfortable with that. What method to learn ?

Nuno answers:
It's correct. Usually you use ring finger for the first string, the middle for the second, the index for the third and the thumb for the other three strings. Sometimes and depending on the song, style, etc. you must use other combination. In this case, it is very easy with the "normal" style. In the beginning you can strumm the chords and then start with the fingerpicking, go very slow and practice each chord separately.

The "Rising..." was my first lesson and it's very funny to play!

Nuno

Please remember to keep all questions and answers on a lesson in one thread and not to start a new thread. Thank you.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

chymera writes:
Hi Guys, Im very new to playing guitar..just hitting a few chords at this stage. I was reading the lesson for House of the Rising Sun and there is something I am unclear of. I have never tried finger picking and was just wondering what strings am I actually picking.

The sequence starts with Am which holds down the 2nd,3rd and 4th strings. Do I start by hitting the 5th string open with my thumb and then 2nd,3rd and 4th respectively.

Likewise for the C which holds the 5nd, 4th and 2nd string. Do I start by hitting the 6th string open then the 5th, 4th then 2nd?

Apologies if the explanantion of my question isn't very clear as I am very new to all this.
Any help you guys could give me would be much appreciated.
Thanks

smcclure responds:
I'm not sure it follows the lesson exactly, it's been a while since I've seen that one but I play it where for every chord I start with the bass playing three strings in ascending order then start with the treble and three strings in descending order so e.g.

Code:

chord strings
Am 5-4-3-1-2-3
C 5-4-3-1-2-3
D 4-3-2-1-2-3
Fmaj7 4-3-2-1-2-3
E & E7 6-5-4-1-2-3

and I play it with thumb handling 6, 5 & 4, index 3, middle 2, ring 1.
Again, please avoid duplicating threads in the lessons forum.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

i think this is what you mean

chord STARTING STRING
am 5th
c 5th
D 4th
F 4th
E 6th
E7 6th

SO IF ON AM you hit 5th with your thumb then followed by 3rd string with index then 2nd with middle and 1st with ring fingers
i think that stays the same through out the song except the bass string change between 4th 5th and 6th depending on which chord your playing

hope this helps

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member

cool, I'l try that. Thanks alot for your help

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6