Chord suggestions

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, guys.

I'm somewhat of a beginner (to guitar and songwriting), but I'm writing a song. It's a little corny and personal, so I won't share the words with you :D

I've got a chorus which consists of a sequence using Dsus2, Dminor, Dsus4. But I don't have chords for the verse. I'd prefer to introduce some variation, but sadly, my theory isn't advanced enough to think of any.

Now, I really should do myself the favour of getting the theory first, but since I have a bit of a deadline (shhhh...it's a surprise for my wife), I thought I'd ask around here.

Any ideas for some chords that sound good with Dsus2, Dminor, Dsus4, preferably open chords that aren't too hard for a beginner like me?

If it helps any, the song structure is like this (with a 4/4 measure per line)

Chorus:
Dsus2
Dminor
Dsus4
Dsus2, Dminor, Dsus4

Verse:
Chord1, Chord2
Chord1, Chord2
Chord1, Chord2
Dsus2, Dminor, Dsus4

Thanks, for anyone who can help!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Really, you can best try the chords you know and see which ones you like. Example:

Dm-G-Am-Am
Dm-G-C-C

ReplyQuote
(@sjboller)
Trusted Member

Well, judging from the chords and the "personal" nature of the song - something tells me it's a slow sad one ... or melancholy at any rate. Here's a suggestio for a simple but great sounding chord progession used probably about 500 million songs. Yes, that number is accurate by the way.

Verse
Dm ( play with hammers on the 1st and 3 frets of the high E string)
C (play with hammers on the 1st and 3rd frets of the B string)

Chorus or whatever

F (not the barre F .. but the "cheapo" three finger F that you play like a C chord but just move your middle and ring fingers down a string respectively)
G
F
Em

Just an idea .. also if you are looking for a more solemn .. or er.. gloomier sound ... Asus2/Am .. or Bm sounds good with those chords you mentioned ...

Also I like doing from a Dm position that sounds nice if not overly used is a simple slide from the third fret of the B string ot the fifth fret.

Just trying to throw out some ideas that I think would have helped me as a beginner. Dunno if it helps at all :)

ReplyQuote
(@sjboller)
Trusted Member

Oh yeah .. and SCREW theory ... yep, I said it. My guitar skills probably reflect that as well ... .but .. screw it. You can bore yourself all day with theory like my sister who is a professional musician and can't play a thing unless the notes are in front of her. Or you can grab your litre of whatever spirit and jam the night away with nothing but piss, vinegar, and whatever creativity you can muster.

Not sure if that was a positive message or not. Not sure what I said .. but it needed to be said ... I think ..

Cheers.

ReplyQuote
(@urbnite)
Eminent Member

if you're looking for something not too dark, i'd definitely suggest G and a variation on A.

G will always go with D and then you can go to A and back to D. Play with Am and Asus4 (3rd fret on B string)... those will all sound good together.

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, guys. Great forum, very encouraging and helpful.

I eventually settled on A2, Em for ease and because it's creates a cool sound. Still a little bit jarring, but then this, my first song, doesn't have or need to have a lot of potential.

Then again, F does have some potential, and is easy to reach from Dminor. I think I shall give it a go.

But who could have thought writing songs could be so much fun?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Unfortunately you can't screw theory. Theory is just a series of observations of what works and doesn't over time. It isn't a bunch of rules.

If you are playing what is pleasing to you, which is based on what you have already heard and what you expect to hear, then you are using music theory.

Theory is neither hard to learn nor limiting. It's got nothing to do with learning to read music either.

Take your time, play what is pleasing to you and when you have a chance read some of David's easy theory lessons. It's nothing to fear, really.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's important to know that it isn't an either/or proposition.

Here is a bit to help you and get the thread back on track.

First my disclaimer:

What follows is just a quick reference, rule of thumb thing. It isn't exact, but a generalization that usually holds true.

What I'm about to explain I teach to my absolute beginning students as soon as they can play open position chords, or right about at the end of the first month. It takes about 5 minutes to teach.

If you are writing a song in any key, just count up the next 7 musical alphabet notes. The musical alphabet only goes to G and starts again. If you want to think of the Key as the chord where the song seems to rest or return to, that's fine.

For instance in D

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
D, E, F, G, A, B, C

or starting with A

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
A, B, C, D, E, F, G

Now the letters are going to represent chords.

There is a pattern that you can use to figure out what is going to sound good.

The 1, 4, and 5 will be major. The 2, 3, and 6 will be minor. The 7 is diminished but it doesn't happen all that much so don't worry about it.

So in the first example you get:

D, Em, Fm, G, A, Bm, Cdim

in the second you get

A, Bm, Cm, D, E, Fm, Gdim

Each set of chords above are going to work together.

Take the chords from the first example. Try the 1, 4 and 5 together or D, G and A. Now go and substitute in the Em in and see what you think. Heck add in the Bm and the Fm.

For Bm try this fingering

x
x

If you want to try C- try:

x
x
x

So there you go, that didn't hurt did it? Now you can find the related chords for just about any Major key.

Wait you want minor keys?

Apply this pattern instead:

1,4, and 5 are minor
3, 6 and 7 are major
2 is diminished

so try starting with A

A, B, C, D, E, F, G

So your Key of Am chord family is:

Am, Bdim, C, Dm, Em, F, G

The 1, 4 and 5 are Am, Dm and Em. Doesn't that look an awful lot like what you discovered for your song?

Theory is just a tool. Be as afraid of it as you are a screwdriver. Use it when you screw something together, put it back in the tool drawer when done.

Now there are a number of other ways to slice and dice this, so don't let it limit you. Try new things. Listen and trust your ear.

ReplyQuote
(@sjboller)
Trusted Member

Ditto to what Nick said.

I was being facetious - and maybe that wasn't appropriate especially since if misunderstood is exactly what someone asking for help doesn't need. So, I do apologize.

Music theory is important - and whether you realize it or not - you are using it. Just like gravity.

Just another thought Grimm ... when I first started playing it took me awhile to begin thinking "horizontally". I.E. getting away from just using open chords (which I still primarily use :) ) ...

A great way to start is to do what Nick suggested and learn the notes on your fretboard - one way is actually singing the name of the note as you move up and down the fretboard. Then start with powerchords. So you know that a D makes the root note of a D chord .. so then if you know the notes on the fretboard .. you can find an alternate D and form your chords around that ...

So .. basically .. to simplify .. without confusing you or myself ... is to learn to play your basic major/minor/suspended chords in the open position .. then learn to play them in an alternate position up the fretboard and say the notes as you pick each one in the chord ..

Sounds stupid .. but after awhile it will be come second nature .. almost like using chopsticks .....

:)

Let us know how that song goes and if you can record it for us ... I'd love to hear it.

By the way ... recording yourself playing is a GREAT learning and writing tool. HIGHLY recommended.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hey SJ,

No harm done. I knew what you were saying. Your version of trust your ear, or go with your gut. I agree with you completely.

I don't care if theory says it fits, if it doesn't work for you, change it 'til it does.

Nick

ReplyQuote
(@arjen-v-assen)
Eminent Member

maybe you could try to tune it to A whit your capo if you have

Then you get

Asus2
Aminor
Asus4
Asus2, Aminor, Asus4

Then you can try some variations whit add chords or sus chords

What I have also done in a couple pieces of me is playing the basic chord and put a hammer on from the 'kwint' (I dont know how you call it in English, I'm from holland.) Well whit A it's an E. So play A en pull a hammer on trough the chord. Wich in case of A is an E. But if you play for example an G you play an D 'hammer on troug it. Play your rithem so that you can hear the hammer on very clearly.

greets, Arjen

ReplyQuote