Clear all

obscure/undiscovered great songwriters?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@outoftheloop)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i'm always on a quest to find new favorite musicians. know of any great undiscovered or obscure songwriters? a few that i found just recently that i recommend checking out:

-Jane Taylor

-Teitur

-Beth Waters

anyone else to add to this list?

kyle

(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

For music, Phil Keagy.

For lyrics, there was a whole bunch of Chrisitan bands in the late 90's who had amazing talent and songwriting skills, but who weren't succesful becuase they wern't the typical poppy Christian lyrics, such as Satellite Sould, Smalltown Poets, The Waiting, Grover Levy...

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

Conor Oberst.

I know he's not 'new' he's been around with several bands for quite a while(latest and most 'famous':Bright Eyes) but no one seems to know him, that's what I always feel like. And it's really worth it, he's awesomely talented and ...can't even find words. my dad said he sounds like early Bob Dylan...really?

another band you surely not know(except you're from Germany and even then only maybe): Jonas. they don't exist anymore 'cause there's been a change of bandmembers and now they're calling themselves Union Youth and their music is a bit 'harder' now. I'd prefer Jonas, though. Maybe you can check them out at amazon.com

another German: Maximilian Hecker- great!

hope it was somewhat useful;)
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@outoftheloop)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

great.

i will check them all out. thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@b0sendorfer)
Eminent Member

Well for lyrics and music (music mostly, her lyrics are sometimes a little strange), Tori Amos. I love her voice, she writes 100% everything she does, which is really nice. She plays piano really well, too. If you check her out, I think you should start with her first album, Little Earthquakes.

Also, for lyrics and music, Suzanne Vega. She has a beautifull, nice, simple, soft voice, plays guitar. Her lyrics are my favorite part about her music, very poetic. If I were you I'd start out with her second album, Solitude Standing.

ReplyQuote
(@outoftheloop)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

cool. looks like i'll be spending alot at the record store this friday.

:]

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Dar Williams
Jess Klein
The Neilds (could be The Nields, I can never remember)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@sozay)
Estimable Member

Missy Higgins is an australian who just started putting out some very good songs

currently number 60 in total posts... and shooting for number 1!!

ReplyQuote
(@crkhobbit)

I saw this guy the other night in cincinnati for the first time and really enjoyed his songs even though I would say they come from a genre I'm typically into.

http://www.mmattei.com

ReplyQuote