Clear all

offering a song to an artist

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

This has probably come up before, but if you write a song, is it possible to send a copy to an artist you admire, offering it as material for them to record? Obviously this is physically possible to do, but what are the chances that (a) your letter is actually opened, (b) someone will actually read your song (or listen to the demo), (c) assuming it is "good enough", your song is played and recorded by the artist, and (d) released on an album?

This would be like Joe Nobody writing a screenplay and sending it to Steven Spielberg, but in the film world there are proper channels you can go through to get your stuff read by people who matter. Is there any system in music?

And most importanntly, has anyone here ever done or attempted to do this (and please do let us know which song you wrote!)

(@martin-6)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

well to answer my own question:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4997

does the same apply in the UK? any remote chance of getting a song through to an artist directly? I'm talking about chart-topping, million-selling artists here.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It has been done, but, these days, anyone with a record contract has someone to open their mail and sort it for them. If, on the other hand, you have the artist's home address, that's another matter.
Whatever route you choose, make sure that the work is properly copyrighted - do not use the "poor man's" copyright. If you are of the opinion that your song could be a million seller, the few pounds for an authorised copyright is money in the bank.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

It probably depends a lot on who you want to send it to. I think most big league quitarists are very selective of who they cover, if they ever do. I think it's something very personal. You pick a song that means something to you, and one that you think you can give a revival to in your own personal style, and you go for it.
I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone covering a fans music before, but there's no harm in giving it a shot.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Saber,
I think you've slightly misunderstood - the artist would not be covering anyone's material (it would have had to have been recorded and published to be able to do that). The composer is offering his, as yet, unpublished material - it has to be recorded as a demo for it to be considered, but that does not make a published recording a cover.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Kris Kristofferson barrowed a National Guard helicopter and flew it to Johnny Cash's home (landed on his front lawn) to give him a song. :wink: I wouldn't suggest that, but there's nothing wrong with being determined and inventive.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote