44 Users
0 Likes
22.5 K Views
(@no1failure)

Jesse Lacey - If you don't know who that is then you're deprived

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Simon Neil of Biffy Clyro - his incessant ramblings are strangely hypnotizing. I also admire the lyricism of Funeral For A Friend, Million Dead, Nirvana (obviously). However, there are some people who are just in a league of their own when it comes to lyrics - Ben Folds Five, for example, write the best lyrics I've ever heard in my life (case in point: "Smoke").

ReplyQuote
(@guy_d)

Well it looks like Bob Dylan while have to get my vote here, although i don't think I would possibly like anyone else as much. John Fogerty does well though.

Is is Ironic that Bob Dylan recorded his first album 27 years before I was born yet a stiLLadmire him so much?

People talk of situations,
Read books, repeat quotations,
Draw conclusions on the wall.

Bob Dylan, Love Minus Zero/No Limit,

ReplyQuote
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member

Lyrically Kurt Cobain, Bob Dylan, whoever does AudioSlaves, the White stripes, Lorretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, and System of down, Maynard Keenan

Musically Metallica, Bach, Zakk wylde, Tool

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i'm a Jim Croce fan myself

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
 Timy
(@timy)

I love so many different songwriters. Just to list a few

Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Beck
All of the Beatles (espescialy Lennon and Harrison)
REM
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Simon and Garfunkal
Alex Lloyd
Powderfinger
Radiohead
Stephen Stills

ReplyQuote
(@lostbeggining)
Reputable Member

Me personally...most of mine have been said already, Noal Gallaguer (songs like "Stop crying your heart out" and "little by litle)...again..Jesse Lacey (songs like "Play crack the sky" and "Good to know if i ever need attention...")...um......Edwin Mccain (songs like "Write me a song" and " Guinevere").....um....Goo Goo Dolls (songs like "Black balloon", "Iris" and "Im still here").......and.......um........thats bout all i can think of at the mo.......................

Rain Shadow

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

For fun lyrics with clever double-entendres:

Steve Tyler
Melissa Etheridge
Billy Joel

The latter two also write decent ballads. Musically, I don't really like "Downeaster Alexa", but both the story and the way he tells it are very good. There are other examples...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@kaiern)

Jimmy Page
Robert Plant
Maynard James Keenan
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Brilliant people.

Jimmy Page is the man!

ReplyQuote
(@crossfire)

Ronnie VanZant, John Fogerty, Gregg Allman, and Dickey Betts.

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

I love Billy Howerdel's lyrics. He writes for A Perfect Circle and Tool along with Maynard James. All of his songs have meanings, like aenemia is about how sinful and stupid L.A. is becomeing so he wants it to be flooded (so learn to swim!) And in The Outsider, it talks about not committing suicide and how everyone will have his day to die. If u get a chance, look at his lyrics. They are phenomenal pieces of work that will amaze you.

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
(@arjen-v-assen)
Eminent Member

Heey
I must say if it comes to songwriting I really admire Bob Dylan and I've got the same thing as guy d I think I'm only a lot younger 'cause I'm just 14 by now and I'm a fan of dylan since my 11th. He is also the one who made me songwriting.
greets Arjen

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

John Denver.
Cliff richard.

These two artists are best in this league...imo.

Check em out.I am surprised why nobody mentioned them here.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@todds)
Eminent Member

Billy Joe Shaver - IMO, he sets the standard in country music
Donnie Vie and Chip Z'Nuff (Enuff Z'Nuff) - I think they are hugely underrated. A sad example of bad marketing.
Gary Louris (The Jayhawks)
Rodney Crowell
Brian Henneman (The Bottle Rockets)

I have to say, however, that I've never consciously tried to write a song that sounded like anyone else. Part of that is an attempt to not copy others, but I think a large part of it is my own technical deficiencies. I also realize that my songs must sound like someone (I mean I'm not reinventing the wheel here), but I don't hear what I would consider my influences in my own music.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

modest mouse is getting into my head a lot lately

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4