Clear all

Tips on how to wrap the music around the lyrics

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@lifeisthought)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, here's my situation: I'm currently working with one of my friends whos a pianist on his solo album. I'd call his skill level the level of an amateur's although he wants to evetually go pro someday. Anyways he wanted to tag me on as his lyricist/manager, and help him through the process of producing an album. So we're working on his first track, and have come to a consensus on the opening riff (on the piano). The opening riff that we came up with inspired me to write the lyrics for the song before we finished it up musically. So I was talking to him today saying I had prematurely written all of the lyrics for the first song, but he wanted me to wait until he composed some melodies, and then give me rough copies of them to listen to to come up with the words to go along with the music. I told him we'd wrap the music around the lyrics for this first song, then for the other songs I'll let him come up with something musically before I go in to write the words. So, getting to my question: does anyone have any tips based on external advice or from experience on how to wrap the music around the lyrics? Would it be best if I gave a vivid description of the setting or an explicit interpretation of the meaning of the song so I help my friend develop the mood and tone of the song inside his head?

'I know that change means there's still hope. To show this world that I am whole.'